Apple C*cked up a repair..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBritishBloke, Apr 24, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

An Apple Executive Relations member of staff, organised for my machine to be sent off to a 3rd Party Service provider for a repair on my 2009 MacBook Pro.

After diagnosis, they replaced the Hard Drive, Top Case (includes trackpad, keyboard, aluminium casing etc.) and the display (inc. hinge + casing).

Upon receiving it today, before even turning on the machine, the hinge is already bent and has 'popped' out of where it should be, and there are scratches down the back of the supposedly 'new' display..

I've contacted the representative at Apple, whom should be replying to me on Monday, however what would usually happen in this situation? As before even turning on the computer, the repair is unacceptable..

Thanks

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I had an almost identical experience with my MacBook Pro.

Apple will probably scold the 3rd party service provider and then set up a repair directly with Apple. If this was the third repair attempt, you should ask for a replacement of the machine.

3. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't have even gotten the *cough* 'repair' unless I had emailed Steve Jobs, from which the Apple 'Executive Relations' person called me.

Before that, I took it to an Apple store in Germany, whom disregarded all the problems on my computer, even though I showed them it happening, and tests that were done on the HDD, but because Disk Utility said it was ok, they ignored it.

So Apple referred me to a UK Apple Store, their turnaround was 3 weeks for a repair, and they said that they also wouldn't fix anything even though I showed them once again.

So then I phoned AppleCare and spoke to someone in CR. He was going to organise for my MBP to be picked up and diagnosed DIRECTLY at Apple.. However there was a MINIMUM 3 week turnaround, which was so ridiculous, I refused. So he said 'you must take it back to an Apple store then'.

This was over the course of 3 weeks.. Then 3 weeks later, I thought I'd take the chance and Email the Steve Jobs' email, just to see how it goes from there.. The next morning, I get a phone call from this Executive relations representative, whom offers to have it collected from my home, diagnosed and fixed within a week (business days, this was over the easter weekend unfortunately).

They practically replaced the entire computer, except for the motherboard (and everything soldered to it).

When they had to replace practically the entire computer, and yet they still managed to cock it up, I really don't understand why I didn't just get a replacement. As there were AT LEAST 3 major parts repaired on this device.

The representative is calling me on Monday to further investigate the issue, I'm going to inquire about a replacement, as I'm getting rather annoyed about just being consistently given the run-around. I haven't even turned on my MBP yet.. Who knows if there are more underlying issues, I just want to know how they even released the machine back to me, with the damage..

4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Wow that's a pretty big fail on Apple's part.
    Bring it in to the store and just be like WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO TO MY MACBOOK and show off the damage caused by repairing it.

Returns at Apple are so iffy sometimes, there's always someone screwing up.

It's cool emailing the SJobs worked, I wonder if he actually looks at the mail, or he filters it and other people look and forward tidbits... He's gotta get a TON of mail.

5. migsev macrumors regular

With regards to replacement, they generally won't replace it until you've had 3 major repairs done. Even if this repair ended up with 3 major parts being replaced, its still considered as 1 "major" repair.

You can try arguing time wasted and the shoddy repair done to see where it can take you. IMO best you can do is get a freebie off of the CR rep and an apology, and maybe a recorded statement that more issues will lead to a replacement. Try to see if you can get the direct line to the CR rep so you deal with just one person.

6. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

I had the same experience with my MacBook. The Partridge Creek store (Macomb, MI) totally butchered my brand new plastic MacBook when they were replacing the screen.

7. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I am with someone above CR, 'Executive relations'. They basically have the power to do more or less whatever they want. They're the ones who replaced my iPhone 3G with a 3GS. And I have the direct line and email etc. for one person whom is sorting my problem for me.

I understand about the whole 3 major repairs.. but as mentioned, I've spent 6 weeks, and travelled 100's of miles going to Apple stores, its ridiculous that firstly, no apple store recognised any of the problems, secondly that when it's actually repaired, they C*ck it up... I'll see what she says tomorrow, all I can do is hope for the best, as I'm not being without my computer for another 2 weeks...

Mine wasn't quite like that.. Well as far as I know it isn't as I haven't even opened the lid of the computer yet.. They just ruined everything that they supposedly replaced, I wonder if they've put in a faulty hard drive too...

I would.. But the 3rd party service provider is about 350 miles away ^^

Emailing steve jobs would probably be instantly redirected to a filter, and there'll most likely be a list of emails that actually pass through to him, and the rest just get forwarded to representatives.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

9. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'll post them up on Monday, after the representative has had a look at them.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Most likely you'll get a replacement if you ask for it.

11. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

I know in some cases this is true, but don't come to expect it. They flat out refused to replace my computer. Let me elaborate:

The computer went in for a screen replacement. It has blue lines showing up on it. It was 3 months old and pristine (I kept it in a soft case when not in use).

The computer came back looking like they played hockey with it. There were deep gouges and nasty scratches covering the entire outer shell. The screen bezel was falling off, the hinges did not align properly, you could not put a CD into the superdrive (it would jam halfway in), the screen was not fixed, and the entire keyboard/trackpad area looked like they had taken a field trip to...well..a field.

On top of that, the whole ordeal took Apple 2 months to fix. Now, I don't think Apple "sucks", but that store had issues to be certain. What they did "do for me" was send the machine off to their repair facility instead of having the people at the store fix it again.

12. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Update: So it's getting picked up AGAIN.. I inquired about a replacement and it seems to be that only if something else happens..

Going to be without my MBP for another week due to a screw up, nothing I can do about it though.

I'll keep you all posted.

13. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

14. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Got another phone call today, they're going to replace the display yet again (4th major part).

I've phoned Apple, whom are putting in an official complaint from me.

I inquired about a replacement, and I was told that even though this was the 4th Major Part, and I was hassled for around 8 weeks to even get a repair, that they cannot replace it at this time, I was advised that it would most likely be replaced upon the next 'major' repair.

However, the representative whom I spoke to actually said that he will be sorting some kind of compensation for the hassle of it taking 8 weeks to get a repair. I'm grateful for any compensation, just hope it isn't iWork or MobileMe as I already have them ^^

I'll keep you posted, if you guys have had any cases where your machine has been replaced, please let me know.