Apple cables

Tech198

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Why are Apple cables soo short?

It seems their the only company in the industry that forces their customers to buy USB extention cables.

Sometime, a user needs to plug in where AC is not close. One might come up with an extention lead, which works, but not for devices like the I.devices, where they connect via the 30-pin dock connector.

would a USB extention work this case?

There are plenty of companies around which sell eithernet canes which are 2M, usb cabes too, so noise is not an issue here.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
An Ethernet cable has to reach your router or switch so they're long for a reason. Your USB to iPod cable is often only used for syncing so they tend to be pretty short, you can buy longer ones or even extensions (a local dollar store sells 2' extensions for $1)

If you're talking about charging only then I'd recommend a dedicated dock, some are as cheap as dirt and get the job done.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because Apple assumes you use their USB keyboards that have a hub in them or are near enough the the back of your iMac so you can just plug it right it.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

It seems their the only company in the industry that forces their customers to buy USB extention cables.

I have used USB-compatible Macs since 2000, but have never purchased a USB extension cable. What am I doing wrong?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
If Apple supplied longer cables they'd be swamped with wingers complaining they were too long! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.