Apple cables

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tech198, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Tech198, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Tech198 macrumors G4

Why are Apple cables soo short?

It seems their the only company in the industry that forces their customers to buy USB extention cables.

Sometime, a user needs to plug in where AC is not close. One might come up with an extention lead, which works, but not for devices like the I.devices, where they connect via the 30-pin dock connector.

would a USB extention work this case?

There are plenty of companies around which sell eithernet canes which are 2M, usb cabes too, so noise is not an issue here.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

An Ethernet cable has to reach your router or switch so they're long for a reason. Your USB to iPod cable is often only used for syncing so they tend to be pretty short, you can buy longer ones or even extensions (a local dollar store sells 2' extensions for $1)

If you're talking about charging only then I'd recommend a dedicated dock, some are as cheap as dirt and get the job done.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because Apple assumes you use their USB keyboards that have a hub in them or are near enough the the back of your iMac so you can just plug it right it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have used USB-compatible Macs since 2000, but have never purchased a USB extension cable. What am I doing wrong?

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If Apple supplied longer cables they'd be swamped with wingers complaining they were too long! :D