apple calendars and picture books

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fooj, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Fooj macrumors member

wondering if anyone has bought a calendar or picture book through iphoto 08, I am thinking ok getting one for a gift what are peoples opinions?

2. PrinceDraven macrumors regular

Calendar

I recently bought a Calander for my wife.
    I am quite impressed, and she loved it.
    They are not cheap in all honesty, and it took a good few weeks to be delivered, but it is a bit of a special present. Not like you are likely to make them regularly (well maybe once a year!).
    I particularly like the idea that you can put a picture of people on the actual date section of the calendar (i.e. when it is their Birthday).

All in all I enjoyed the making process and my wife will enjoy the output.:D

Hope that helps.

3. PrinceDraven macrumors regular

One other thing...

One last thing, I think if it was as a Present for someone then a book is a more 'special' gift because you are obviously more likely to look through a book for many years tio come, than flick through an old Calendar from years past!

4. jroller macrumors regular

We have done this on many occasions. I do not think you will be disappointed at all. The hardcover books are very nice (but 20 pages is not as thick as you might be inclined to think when making the book).

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

We've done the calendars as presents for several years (iPhoto 4 through 6) and have generally been satisfied. This past year wasn't so good because the little arrows that indicate the date to which photo events (e.g., pic. of kid on her birthday) didn't show up in the final product, even though they were in the preview. So it looked like the birthday was on a different date because of where the text was. Apple could never explain why that didn't work, so I didn't reorder a corrected version. (They gave me a full refund on the calendars)

What I'd suggest is if it's a really important present leave some extra time in case there's a problem. That said, it's pretty unlikely you'll have a problem. We've been satisfied every other year.

6. nep61 macrumors 6502

Go for it !!

I have created and bought 3 calendars over the past 3 years. They are quite impressive in terms of their size. And, your ability to configure the pictures on the pages, add pictures to the dates for birthdays is quite good as well.

I have to say, the calendars I have given as gifts have been VERY WELL received by all. And I have to disagree with PrinceDraven... I think the price is more than fair... Have you been in a Hallmark store and seen the prices they sell full size calendars for?

Do give yourself TIME to assemble the Calendar and/or book... it's a bit of work, for sure. Also, make a NEW album in iPhoto and drag the pix you want to consider for the project into that... you can use that folder as a reference, and it will scale the project down a bit.

Have fun putting the calendar or book together.

7. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I have ordered three books so far and I have been quite pleased and the people I have given them too have REALLY LOVED them! The selection of book types has grown over the years and I really appreciate the variety. I am working on a spiral bound book of the first moths of my new grand daughter. I can't wait to see how it, and her, turns out. Go ahead and put one together, you will not regret it. But, as many have said, allow plenty of time for your production and for Apple to print it. :cool:

8. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Just a few question I want to add to this (OK - it's a bit old) topic:

1. Some people have mentioned it can take quite a while for the books to be made. Can anybody give a rough estimate of how long?

2. I live in the UK, and I have a sister who's in Australia. I'm thinking about making one for her birthday. Is it possible to get the book made and sent straight to Aussie land (without any extra postage charges)? How about buying through the Aussie 'iPhoto Book' store?

Cheers

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I am fairly certain that all of your questions can be answered on Apple's website. They have estimated ship times by type of product ordered based upon when you upload the data to them. Take a look on the ilife - iphoto - print products page for the link called "see available print products"

10. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

For all those who have bought the calendars, did anyone try another photo service like snapfish? Curious as I've been pleased with all the picture books I've made from the other services and would like to know if there is a noticeable quality difference.