Apple called FedEx today to ship back ATI 4780

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BigSky20, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BigSky20 macrumors regular

My new Ati graphics card for my 2008 2.8 octo was set to be delivered today. FedEx's website says "refused by recipient". Yeah right! I called FedEx and they said Apple called twice to recall the shipment because it shipped too quickly. I called Apple and they said this is a known issue and would get back to me. I love Apple's products, but hate their tactics!

2. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

my guess is that they were going to release 10.5.7, then something happened (that they had to fix maybe) so they pulled by 10.5.7. as a result, they had to pull back the 4870 cards they had already sent out cause it wouldn't work very well w/o the 10.5.7 update.

3. Whiteyez macrumors regular

lol that is the first time that i see that.. :D Niccccceeee....

4. aibo macrumors 6502

perhaps it just required a signature?

edit: this just happened to me too

5. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

perhaps you should call apple customer service and complain - at the very least, they should credit back the amount they charged when they shipped the card until they actually ship the card (again). just be courteous about it and they might throw in something (expedited shipping, credit on your order, etc.)

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Off Topic, but I do wonder what the plan for 10.5.7 is. They made such a push for everyone to try Safari 4, and as of right now it still doesn't work with 10.5.7. Do they plan to include Safari 3 in the update, downgrade and upgrade at the same time. :)

7. kallisti macrumors 65816

kallisti

I think the reason is that 10.5.6 doesn't have the drivers for the card. I got my 4870 this morning, installed it, and have had nothing but problems. Only drives one monitor, won't play WoW (error message says WoW can't detect 3d acceleration).

Found a driver on the web that seems to be working partially (can play WoW now, but still no dual monitor support).

I have spent most of the day messing with this. Be thankful yours didn't arrive.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

maybe they are planning to put safari 4 final in with 10.5.7?

9. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

same thing happened to me today, but the problem was they dropped part of my address. i used both lines on the apple site and fedex had just 1 address line, so of course they could not find my building. i called and picked it up at thier ground shipping location that was close by. i have it my hands and am installing soon.

10. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

I talked to a manager at Apple who said it is a known issue. I also called Fed Ex and they said Apple called them twice to return the shipment. They said the refused by recepient is a standard status they add when they send it back to shipper. I have a manager at Apple who is looking into the situation and getting back to me. She confirmed this happened to tons of orders.

11. JollyRogers macrumors regular

Got mine yesterday and installed it. Using drivers located from a link in another thread with no problems. COD4 in OSX and others are fine for me.

12. rgsiii macrumors newbie

I received mine today and Aperture would not run with it. When I called Apple, they said that the driver would be in 10.5.7 and it should be out in about one week.

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I would hope so, but I believe Safari 4 will stay in Beta till Snow Leopard comes out.

14. Ctrl2k macrumors member

I got mine today; I have a 2009 Mac Pro Octo 2.26. I had been using an 8800GT which needs drivers to run correctly (but was fine on my 2008 Mac Pro.)

Anyhoo, the box does say it requires 10.5.7, but as we all know the version of 10.5.6 that shipped with the new Mac Pros has a driver in it.

And sure enough, all works fine for me; I just had to plug it in. I am using a 24" ACD and a 20" Apple display; the primary is running off a minidisplayport to DVI adapter and the secondary direct.

It's smooth, fast, and the fan is not as loud as the 8800GT's was (it would ramp up for no reason).

Seems to have a little more ooph for playing things like Xplane at 1920 res. No benchmarks, however. Barefeats has 'em.

If you MP 08 users download the 10.5.6 MP 09 drivers (they are posted here), you'll be fine for now.

15. aibo macrumors 6502

Apple contacted FedEx to get my 4870 back, too. Delivery was attempted at my house but I wasn't there to sign, so I planned to pick it up when I got off work. When I got to FedEx around 5:30, they had to pull it off the truck and give it to me because it was about to be sent back to Apple at Apple's request. Luckily it's in my hands.... going to install it now :)