Apple Called Me

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Harpo, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Harpo macrumors member

A strange thing happened. Apple Computer apparently called my house. Someone else picked up the phone and confusedly told them they had a wrong number, because they asked for me by my user name instead of my real name (it's the fake name I use on the internet and also what my computer thinks my real name is).

As far as I know, I haven't given them both my user name and my phone number; if I did, I think it would be with the registration when you first get a Mac. Possibly Apple forums also, but I haven't used them in years and I don't think I would have given my phone number. Thing is, when I use the fake name, I tend to use a fake number also.

On my iTunes/Apple account, they have only my real name.

Why would Apple be calling me, and why in heavens name would they use that name? Have they been calling people recently?

Or maybe it wasn't Apple, and it was someone trying to steal my identity? I still don't know how they got that combination of name and number.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Have you browsed the Apple store online at all recently and added stuff to the basket?

3. Harpo thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Haven't made an iTunes purchase for weeks either. Do they get my computer user name when I shop? As I said, my real account and anything associated with credit card information has my real name.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i got a call once about getting apple care for my iPhone.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

they've been randomly calling people offering them the opportunity to test future products for free. too bad someone told them wrong number :D

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

i got two calls, both about getting applecare for my iBook G4 (long since stolen) and my MacBook. that's probably why.

7. Harpo thread starter macrumors member

8. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Pretty sure they call you by whatever the computer is listed as... you have to register when you first install osx. I got a call saying my complimentary phone support was up and the guy on the other end of the phone asked me if I wanted applecare. That said, of the 3 macs we've had/have in the house, only got a call about one of them.

9. Harpo thread starter macrumors member

Considering it more, I find this the right explanation. Registering my computer is the only place I might have used both the fake name and the real number, and the call came, I think, 11 months to the day (1 month from warranty expiration, isn't it?) after I got the computer.

Good good. Thanks everyone for your help. I have been slightly more on guard after seeing in the Console logs a bot trying to brute force into my SSH. I don't know why, since the odds of it getting both my odd username and my long password are slim to none, but it was alarming nonetheless. I used to have an admin account called "New" for testing purposes, that one could easily have been guessed!

10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Yeah it was probably for AppleCare or some sort of survey. Highly doubt they were calling about something bad.

11. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I got a call from apple once, after sending a letter to steve jobs!

It was sooo coool.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

They tend to phone at around 11 months asking if you want to buy applcare. I have had it for every computer in the house.

13. mrparet macrumors member

Care to divulge the details?

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

A while back my mac was getting frequent kernal panicks for two reasons. Bad Ram (the ram that came with the mini) and Norton Internet Security software thingys...

I wrote a letter (Addressed to Steve Jobs, sent to apple campus california) politely complaining.

I got a phone call from a guy (I was too excited to catch his name) that supposedly worked with Steve at apple. He offered an apology and said that Apple would try to help fix my computer. (Aka, take it to your apple store kid.)

Still it was cool.

15. maceleven macrumors 6502

What number was it that called you

i have been some strange calls as well (302) number?