Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
what really is 2 billion to these companies? apple just wants to send a message to its competitors.

What a sad statement. We, the customer, always ultimately end up paying these damages no matter who wins. Most of the settlement goes to the second oldest profession, encouraging more youngsters to go for their law degrees. While Japan has over 6,000 people for every lawyer over there, the USA has only 320 people for every lawyer over here because Americans believe the above statement. So very sad. In the quality field this is called muda or waste, non value added stuff customers have to pay for.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Screenshot-20110724-1737041.png

You see, Samsung, if you would've just called "S-Slide to Unlock", you could've saved yourself a lawsuit.

The best part about it is that the Nokia N900 not only had slide to unlock but also 1) a recessed power button to wake up the screen, 2) a sliding hardware button to sleep/wake and 3) woke up the screen when you slid open the keyboard. Eventhough it steals Slide to Unlock, too, it's a perfect example that you can build a smartphone without it with.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"largely sold devices due to the features copied from Apple"

I bet that didn't go down well.

How come Samsung needs to pay $28 million, where Apple only pays 7 million?.

Seems Apple is getting the better deal here, or they just "know their stuff"

Oh man, that's so cool. :cool:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
For instance did you know we had web browsing, fast data speeds, cameras, video calling, video messaging, email, picture messaging, touch screens, app stores, hacking communities, bluetooth, even optical zoom on cameras, zoom in features on web pages ALL before the iPhone showed up.

Here's just one example, Eten Glofiish X500 from 2006:

If you want to classify WAP sub-standard websites as real websites, and if you just blindly refuse the qualitative change from being only able to access WAP websites to be also able to access the real websites created for regular computers, there is nothing others can enlighten you.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
And others think the Neonode is a smartphone. It doesn't matter, since the patent isn't specifically for a smartphone.

It is simply for a "method of unlocking a portable electronic device with a touch sensitive display."
[/I]

It’s not really about one or two specific design patents, it’s just that patents suit is the only one the legal system can be used as in this case. What really Samesung should be accused of is to immorally copying EVERY MINOR TINY DETAILS of iPhone (and also iPad) in their first several years of Android phone production, while iPhone was still very fresh to the market.
There is a reality that everyone copies everyone else, more or less, but there is also a fine line based on morality and basic commonsense, Samesung definitely crossed that line and crossed that line TOO FAR, even though its partner Google tried to point out their wrongdoings before their product release.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It’s not really about one or two specific design patents, it’s just that patents suit is the only one the legal system can be used as in this case. What really Samesung should be accused of is to immorally copying EVERY MINOR TINY DETAILS of iPhone (and also iPad) in their first several years of Android phone production, while iPhone was still very fresh to the market.
There is a reality that everyone copies everyone else, more or less, but there is also a fine line based on morality and basic commonsense, Samesung definitely crossed that line and crossed that line TOO FAR, even though its partner Google tried to point out their wrongdoings before their product release.

hyperbole.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If you want to classify WAP sub-standard websites as real websites, and if you just blindly refuse the qualitative change from being only able to access WAP websites to be also able to access the real websites created for regular computers, there is nothing others can enlighten you.

Well, I was accessing FULL websites on my Sony Ericsson P800, so if you are going to class all web sites back then were WAP based then carry on, so sorry to burst your bubble on that one!
And you are absolutely right, there is nothing anyone can enlighten me too because unlike the many on here it seems, I have actually been following the mobile industry tech and using it since around 1996/ 97.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
hyperbole.

Actually all facts, go look at the Samsung Android phones in 2008-2011, compare them with the previous years iPhone yourself, and look at all of the other Android phones around the same time, then you will see. As to Google’s warning, that’s from Samsung’s internal meeting records publicized in last year’s Apple vs. Samsung court debate.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Actually all facts, go look at the Samsung Android phones in 2008-2011, compare them with the previous years iPhone yourself, and look at all of the other Android phones around the same time, then you will see. As to Google’s warning, that’s from Samsung’s internal meeting records publicized in last year’s Apple vs. Samsung court debate.

Your post was riddled with hyperbole. If you don't see it, that's your issue.

unibodydesign

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
So many aggressive people posting sarcastic and childish comments, arguing like idiots about issues and products, the details of which they are not even privvy to.

Please folks, get a life; if discussing things in a polite manner on the internet is too much for you, take your dog for a walk.

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
I still think it's ridiculous, I was using slide to unlock as long back as I still thought an Apple was a type of fruit.

21w-XwuLm1L.jpg

doorLock.jpg

8359982337_e850809fb5_z.jpg

It wasn't really that novel an idea in the first place...

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
There was no "Samsung brand" prior to the Galaxy S,

Let me help you out and clarify the facts:

"Samsung developed its first mobile phone (or "hand phone" in Korea), the SH-100 in 1988. It was the first mobile phone to be designed and manufactured in Korea."

Remember when in doubt Google is your friend :D

----------

So many aggressive people posting sarcastic and childish comments, arguing like idiots about issues and products, the details of which they are not even privvy to.

Please folks, get a life; if discussing things in a polite manner on the internet is too much for you, take your dog for a walk.

This is the nature of Apple culture as cultivated by Steve Jobs. Perhaps as time goes by with the more mature Tim Cook in charge, the elitist attitude will fade.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Your post was riddled with hyperbole. If you don't see it, that's your issue.

Make your statements with logics, otherwise stop it.

By the way, what a funny thing to see that ALL of your posts have exactly “1” person clicked the “like” link for you. That number used to be “4” for this type of posts. Is him the only colleague left here? Samsung is really spending less now hiring people for posting comments?

Renzatic

Suspended
By the way, what a funny thing to see that ALL of your posts have exactly “1” person clicked the “like” link for you. That number used to be “4” for this type of posts. Is him the only colleague left here? Samsung is really spending less now hiring people for posting comments?

They cheaped out on my paycheck last week. Like hell I'll be doing all that work for nothing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Make your statements with logics, otherwise stop it.

Logics?

My post to you has nothing to do with being logical or not. Clearly your feelings were hurt because I called your post out for being over the top. Obviously I must be paid by Samsung to point out that your post wasn't based in fact. It couldn't possibly be because I disagreed with what you wrote.

Interesting that you've been monitoring my likes though. That's more than I do. It's not something I care about. I post my opinion without regard to how popular it is.

What I am most happy about is your most recent post (even though it was hard to understand - but I know English isn't your native tongue) is that you ARE able to type Samsung correctly. Well done!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.