All iPads apple camera connection kit

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vim147, Feb 11, 2014.

1. vim147 macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm if i can use this adaptor with an 2.5" 500GB external drive which doesnt need its own power source ?

Also if i can transfer movies to and from drive to ipad or even watch movies off the external drive ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe that will work, the connections are for SD and CF cards, how would you hook the hard drive up to it?

3. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I can't tell you about that drive in particular, but here's my experience with the CCK:

I have the USB to lightning version of the CCK, which is what I assume you're referring to. I have been able to transfer content to my iPhone from an old Imation 8GB thumb drive, and I regularly use it with a Targus SD card reader to transfer from SD cards (rather than buy the SD card version as well). I have other thumb drives that do NOT work with it, as they appear to draw too much power. (I seem to recall hearing that the new max current limit is 20mA -- not exactly sure.)

Whether on SD card or USB drive, your content must be in a DCIM folder at the root. No subdirectories. And you can only transfer one way.

The filenames themselves must be exactly 8 characters long, with exactly 3 character extension. And, I believe the extension must be in the set of photo media extensions (.jpg, .mov, .mp4, etc.), but not sure of this.

In this way, I have copied .mp4 movies to my iPad for viewing, but was then stuck with the playing back the movie in the Photos app, which is not fun. I now have a Sandisk Media Player for this particular purpose. I think there are similar wireless devices you can use with your hard drive to serve up movies, etc. that could be more flexible.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Heck I can't get this little device to even work with my iPad as it only works with low density SD cards in the 8-16gb range.

If you do not have one I will send you mine for free as it does me no good.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

it's not made for it. Some folks have said that it works as a general USB connection but the mileage varies.