Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With just over a month left in 2016, the latest drone video showing the progress on Apple Campus 2 has been shared online, letting fans check out the ongoing creation of Apple's newest campus. Construction on the site continues with progress being made on the glass panels for the atrium of the main building, as well as in the campus' solar panels and landscaping.

Solar panel installation is said to be 60 percent complete in Matthew Roberts' newest drone video (last month it was at 50 percent), and headway has been made on the entry-way atrium of the main spaceship building. This section of the campus has now had glass installed, covering from the floor to the ceiling of the building, and the design of the area is beginning to take shape.

As is the case with these updates, landscaping is also seeing a rapid update. The large dirt mound used to prepare areas of the site for new trees and various fauna is now "nearly gone," with greenery sprouting up all over the campus, including large trees in front of the fitness center. The inside of the spaceship building is still full of construction equipment and work being done on the water feature and landscaping in the central courtyard.

Once construction is completed -- predicted to be by the end of the year, but likely extending into 2017 -- employees will begin to move into the building in early 2017. The grounds and landscape of the campus will see continued work throughout next year, following the completion of the main structures needed for the workers.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Construction Finishing Up as Glass Installed in Atrium and Landscaping Expands

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
They should use the interior theme from star trek. Then, when someone is standing in front of Tim's office he gets the same chime and says "come" and puts down his stack of iPads. Siri could be activated anywhere by saying "computer". And a general alarm sounds whenever someone says "There's a Klingon warship off our port side".

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why is that?
Can explain why?
Are you aware of any new product being released?
All I know is that a lot of people are no longer worshiping this company. Innovation and users' experience do not make the cut on Tim's agenda.
I would guess because they'll be less distracted by making sure everything is perfect with their shiny new campus and more focussed on getting crap done—like updating the rest of the Macs, making the iPad Pro actually Pro, and designing a new iPhone. I've been reading a lot lately about how the organizational structure within Apple, which is built more like a startup, has been having trouble keeping up with the scale of the company. Perhaps this new building will help facilitate more collaboration since it's custom designed with their needs in mind? Furthermore, there could be new labs that will help with rapid prototyping and development of radical new designs and technologies. Moving is always a big distraction, even at work. We moved buildings a couple years ago and it was a headache and productivity took a big hit during the transition. Our new workspace has helped us to become more efficient because we're better located centrally. Everyone on our team can be in one place with a space of our own and areas within that we can use to collaborate on projects and pitch in ideas during the day. However, when it comes to this situation, 2018 is probably a better bet for Apple to get into a groove at the new campus.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
They should use the interior theme from star trek. Then, when someone is standing in front of Tim's office he gets the same chime and says "come" and puts down his stack of iPads. Siri could be activated anywhere by saying "computer". And a general alarm sounds whenever someone says "There's a Klingon warship off our port side".
B4P5p5kIcAAXrIK.jpg

LOL, had to post it. :)

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I would guess because they'll be less distracted by making sure everything is perfect with their shiny new campus and more focussed on getting crap done—like updating the rest of the Macs, making the iPad Pro actually Pro, and designing a new iPhone. I've been reading a lot lately about how the organizational structure within Apple, which is built more like a startup, has been having trouble keeping up with the scale of the company. Perhaps this new building will help facilitate more collaboration since it's custom designed with their needs in mind? Furthermore, there could be new labs that will help with rapid prototyping and development of radical new designs and technologies. Moving is always a big distraction, even at work. We moved buildings a couple years ago and it was a headache and productivity took a big hit during the transition. Our new workspace has helped us to become more efficient because we're better located centrally. Everyone on our team can be in one place with a space of our own and areas within that we can use to collaborate on projects and pitch in ideas during the day. However, when it comes to this situation, 2018 is probably a better bet for Apple to get into a groove at the new campus.

It will take more than getting into a "groove" at a shiny, new circular campus to turn things around, like new leadership perhaps. The new campus does look really nice by the way.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can explain why?
All I know is that a lot of people are no longer worshiping this company. Innovation and users' experience do not make the cut on Tim's agenda.

The word "innovation" is far overused these days. Many people don't even know what it means, or have forgotten.

Apple is innovating at many levels, both in hardware and software. But you're right on the user experience... they are completely ignoring various aspects of this, particularly in OS X, er... macOS. They are so focused on fancy new features that they miss or ignore small details that affect people every single day.

Bottom line is that they are misfiring, rather than firing on all cylinders like Google and Microsoft are now. An update to only a single Mac this quarter? No updates to the Mac mini or Mac Pro for 2-3 *years*? Not good enough.
[doublepost=1480435635][/doublepost]
It will take more than getting into a "groove" at a shiny, new circular campus to turn things around, like new leadership perhaps. The new campus does look really nice by the way.

Yup, I agree, it's looking as good as the renderings, and I hope they go all the way to creating what those renderings portray.

They are literally building a *city* all at once. It's amazing!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Can explain why?
Apple is clearly going all in with it's own chips. W1, T1, Custom SSD controllers, etc. How this isn't equated with innovation is beyond me. I know it's not going to play in a commercial, but they're clearly aiming to in-house as much as possible to contribute to the user experience. Early days in a new age of Apple.

*waits to hear about dongles*

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The word "innovation" is far overused these days. Many people don't even know what it means, or have forgotten.

Apple is innovating at many levels, both in hardware and software. But you're right on the user experience... they are completely ignoring various aspects of this, particularly in OS X, er... macOS. They are so focused on fancy new features that they miss or ignore small details that affect people every single day.

Bottom line is that they are misfiring, rather than firing on all cylinders like Google and Microsoft are now. An update to only a single Mac this quarter? No updates to the Mac mini or Mac Pro for 2-3 *years*? Not good enough.
[doublepost=1480435635][/doublepost]

Yup, I agree, it's looking as good as the renderings, and I hope they go all the way to creating what those renderings portray.

They are literally building a *city* all at once. It's amazing!

Yeah, it will definitely provoke envy from some people visiting from other companies. The interior will probably be so amazing that some of us wouldn't mind living there if we could, let alone work there. The only fly in the ointment is something I once read about companies in the past that had a very turbulent period or in some cases went bankrupt shortly after building a new, fancy HQ. Enron is one example.

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
Apple is clearly going all in with it's own chips. W1, T1, Custom SSD controllers, etc. How this isn't equated with innovation is beyond me. I know it's not going to play in a commercial, but they're clearly aiming to in-house as much as possible to contribute to the user experience. Early days in a new age of Apple.

*waits to hear about dongles*
I'm sorry to tell you but you are wrong in that assessment. In the "new age of Apple", "in-house" stuff do not mean innovation, as you are suggesting. It actually means higher profit margins. Don't be naive.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Seems fitting that Apple's monument to itself is an entire campus designed around gazing inward and admiring themselves. We should stop calling it the spaceship, and start calling it the navel.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013

Apple is innovating at many levels...
For example, this week we saw the introduction of several innovative emoji.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
2017 should be a great year for Apple.
Yea more dongles, solder parts, and thinner products! But in all seriousness, if next year's updates doesn't include "good updates" to the Mac Pro, Mac mini, iMac, MacBook Air, etc. then it'll just be more of the same, and that isn't "great." And no making something thinner just to be thinner, soldering things, gluing things in, and 5400RPM hard drives in premium prices products don't count.

:D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For example, this week we saw the introduction of several innovative emoji.
More like we've seen various parts of the online community try to "innovate" some sort of impications about this or that over some small and fairly basic emoji updates that don't really carry any particular significance (beyond which is being assigned to it by those trying hard to "innovate" something to have some sort of a negative connotation).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.