Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and its service partners can now repair Face ID on an iPhone without replacing the entire device, allowing the company to offer cheaper and more environmentally sustainable means of device repairs to customers.

iphone-13-face-id.jpg

As MacRumors reported last week, Apple Stores and authorized service providers would soon be receiving parts of the TrueDepth Camera system, including the front-facing camera and Face ID.

In a new memo seen by MacRumors today, Apple said it has begun to send out those parts to authorized service providers and Apple Stores, allowing for Face ID repairs without whole-unit replacement. Repair prices will vary depending on the service provider, location, and device. The new repair option is available only for the iPhone XS and later. The iPhone X, which marked the birth of Face ID, is not supported.

Apple said that the new repair option is not available in Argentina, Barbados, Bermuda, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad, and Tobago, Uruguay, and Venezuela. The memo did not offer any timetable for when availability may expand to other countries.

Article Link: Apple Can Now Repair Face ID On Your iPhone Without Replacing the Entire Phone

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017
This is far better than getting a refurb device with salvaged parts, unless of course, you haven’t been kind to your own device. :)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thank god. I don't need it now, but I like having the reassurance. My phone right now is perfect, knock on wood, so I definitely don't want to play the swap out game that some of y'all have been playing.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
While this fantastic, was there any negative to having your entire phone replaced beyond just having to restore from an iCloud backup/ setting up everything again? Say this happened when your battery capacity was 90%.. your phone replacement would come back with a new battery at 100% capacity.

repoman016

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
While this fantastic, was there any negative to having your entire phone replaced beyond just having to restore from an iCloud backup/ setting up everything again? Say this happened when your battery capacity was 90%.. your phone replacement would come back with a new battery at 100% capacity.
Some people dont want a phone thats been opened compared to the one they had to take out of a box brand new. Just my opinion. The waterproofing might not be as sound? Depends on the repair

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017

Apple just settled a $95 million lawsuit over refurbished devices. Replacement phones have salvaged components.

• Wow
Reactions: Johnny Steps

lovehateapple

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Thank goodness. It took them long enough. Hopefully this "feature" will be designed into iPhones when FaceID is under the screen as well.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Apple just settled a $95 million lawsuit over refurbished devices. Replacement phones have salvaged components.
That I definitely did not know. I was led to believe, by some posters here throughout the years, that the phones often times were returned devices and that Apple just swap out parts that showed wear, like the casing or battery, for new ones.

Knowing that, I may not do apple care anymore. Doesn’t seem it’s worth the price. I’d rather just pay it outright or get a brand new device entirely.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
Just in case someone needs this information: I had the FaceId camera replaced today on my iPhone XS. They charged $169 + taxes and did it in an hour. When I got the phone back they said that they also replaced the battery and speakers. Not sure why. Now my phone is ready for the next 3 years.

Reactions: Mdracer

Sydnxt

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2021
Just in case someone needs this information: I had the FaceId camera replaced today on my iPhone XS. They charged $169 + taxes and did it in an hour. When I got the phone back they said that they also replaced the battery and speakers. Not sure why. Now my phone is ready for the next 3 years.
Speakers must be replaced if the battery is replaced, they possibly damaged the battery (dropped something) during repair and had to replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.