MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple is now offering 10% discounts on select accessories at their Education site until Feb 1st.

Cram your backpack with big savings on accessories for your new Mac or iPod. College students and teachers can save 10% on some of the most useful stuff available today.

Free shipping on orders over $50. Hurry, this offer expires on February 1, 2006

The discounts appear limited to 3rd party products. No Apple hardware is given additional discounts.

Meanwhile another user reports that Apple's Canada store is now offering refurbished items.

Apple's US Store continues to offer free overnight shipping on many Macs.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Maybe I should have said something here but I noticed the Canadian refurb store about 2 weeks ago.

and yes... it's about time!

Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Why hasn't Apple offered refurbs in Canada, before?

I prefer refurbs over new, anyday. The only parts of Apple I'm really buying is the motherboard and operating system, everything else is commodity.

Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
FistfulofAngst said:
Maybe I should have said something here but I noticed the Canadian refurb store about 2 weeks ago.

and yes... it's about time!

It would have been nice if you had mentioned it earlier, I might have snagged an iPod or Shuffle at the time.

No point now, other than wait for MWSF. :)

Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
Lacero said:

I prefer refurbs over new, anyday. The only parts of Apple I'm really buying is the motherboard and operating system, everything else is commodity.

I believe it had to do with demand, since there was little demand for Apple products in Canada in the past. And now the iPod and iMac G5 have changed that. ;) :)

Comment

reidster

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2005
Apple Canada has had refurbs for at least a couple months. I bought my mom a refurbished Mini 1.42/256/80/Combo for $549 CDN for Christmas. I went out and bought 1GB stick of Kingston, and you'd never know it wasn't the $917 new CTO from Apple. I was going to buy her one of the 1.25 refurbs for $469, but I waited too long and they were out of stock.

-- Thought I'd note that if you're looking for a refurbished item from Apple Canada and it's not listed on the site, try calling them. I was able to order a model that wasn't listed on the site.

Comment

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
reidster said:
Apple Canada has had refurbs for at least a couple months. I bought my mom a refurbished Mini 1.42/256/80/Combo for $549 CDN for Christmas. I went out and bought 1GB stick of Kingston, and you'd never know it wasn't the $917 new CTO from Apple. I was going to buy her one of the 1.25 refurbs for $469, but I waited too long and they were out of stock.

-- Thought I'd note that if you're looking for a refurbished item from Apple Canada and it's not listed on the site, try calling them. I was able to order a model that wasn't listed on the site.

Are you sure Apple wants every 3rd customer calling in regards to what they have no listed on they refurb store. I find it odd, but who cares......I will call and see they have in a refurb Quad G5 PowerMac with a 30" ACD. ;) :D

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Comment

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
this just about gave me a heart attack, until I looked over and saw what the price was for.

edit: damn, meant the US education store. got me all excited with the mention of "Canada" and "education" in the same article.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 198
Comment

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Lacero said:

I always thought that you needed a physical Apple store in order to have refurbs. Sure, you could do it through FedEx and all, but that just adds to the cost of shipping (having to return/exchange a product for Apple to refurb).

And I totally agree about your preference regarding refurbs... :)

Comment

autrefois

macrumors 65816
BRLawyer said:
It's not a rumor, just a bland discount rate for Canadian customers...so..?

And also 10% off in the US for some accessories for college students and teachers, although I guess that doesn't help you much in Switzerland unfortunately.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the US education discount in this thread yet. It's nothing spectacular, kind of disappointing they don't have more products actually, but I am tempted by the EyeTV EZ and the MIDI keyboard. My poor keyboard's about 10 years old and one of the A (la) keys no longer works consistently...

I was interested in the SmartDisk 100 GB too since I keep running out of space on my PowerBook, but then I saw it's cheaper at Amazon, so if I do get it, it won't be chez Apple. Sorry Steve!

Comment

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
Doctor Q said:
All that tells you is that macrumors thinks canadians aren't important. I'm not even canadian, but I don't agree with that. This shouldn't have been on page 2, because most of people who would have made use of the story probably didn't see it.

Unless it's an especially stupid and useless story, page 2 should simply be unsubstantiated rumors. That's the whole point.

Comment

autrefois

macrumors 65816
devwild said:
All that tells you is that macrumors thinks canadians aren't important. I'm not even canadian, but I don't agree with that. This shouldn't have been on page 2, because most of people who would have made use of the story probably didn't see it.

So are you saying this should be page 1? I would have to disagree. I think of Page 1 as the front page of a newpaper. Would you put either of these stories on the front page of your newspaper?

Not many people are in the market for refurbished Macs, and while Canada is important, I don't think this has a major impact on most people in Canada, much less anywhere else. So that doesn't merit page 1 treatment. As for the education discounts, it is only for US college students and teachers and only on some products, so again a small number of people could benefit from it.

It's nice they decided to post it on page 2 so people could find out about these things, but they're not headline stories. I think of page 1 as headline stories/rumors, and page 2 as other stuff (stuff you wouldn't put on the front page of a newspaper for example). If it comes from a questionable source and/or doesn't affect a lot of people, then it shouldn't be on page 1 in my opinion.

Comment

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think page 2 is the right place for it, especially because as far as I know Apple Canada has been offering refurbs for a while. it's no thoroughly researched "USB-only laptop! OMGZ!" story, so page 2 is the place for it :rolleyes:.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.