Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 Preview Page Hints at Night Shift Toggle in Control Center

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iOS 9.3 beta, Apple introduced a new feature called Night Shift. It's designed to cut down the amount of blue light an iOS device puts out in the evening, as Apple noted that studies have shown that blue light can negatively impact sleep by altering the body's circadian rhythm. Today, reddit user nickjosephson spotted a Night Shift toggle in Control Center on Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 preview page.

The Night Shift toggle sits next to the brightness slider in Control Center with two options available: "Turn On For Now" and "Turn On Until Tomorrow." While the toggle is shown on an iPad Air, it's likely the new feature works on iPhones as well, though it's unclear where the toggle would fit on the iPhone's smaller Control Center.

The Night Shift toggle is not featured on the American version of the iOS 9.3 preview page, which instead shows Apple News' "For You" section. Apple News is not yet available in Canada, which is the likely reason why the images are different.

Night Shift can be activated on 64-bit iOS devices running iOS 9.3 by toggling it on in the Display and Brightness section of the Settings app. Users can either create their own Night Shift schedule or allow iOS to turn it on after sunset and turn it off at sunrise.

The Night Shift toggle is likely to make its debut in a future beta of iOS 9.3. The next beta is expected in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 Preview Page Hints at Night Shift Toggle in Control Center

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
Good, a easy way to toggle it on or off would be useful. I'm curious if we can set it up with a time of day as well.

Comment

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I like this option. The only thing I need on the control center now is power save mode :p

And optional cellular data settings/personal hotspot. We should just be able to customize the entire control center.

They're adding more and more stuff, at this point we should just be able to change everything to our liking. With iOS 8, iPad Air 2 had to get a different control center, now we are getting night shift toggles. Apple, just let us do what we want to do, and you won't even have to worry about it anymore. People will be able to use any setting they like, you won't need to make that consideration anymore, "Oh this specific piece of hardware requires control center to have a new option, or this software feature probably should be in there" We could just do it all ourselves. Please do this?

Also, that brightness slider is getting tiny lol.

Comment

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
This has been on my Mac for a long time, it's a program called f.lux , a big YAWN if this is all that 9.3 has. boring.

For one thing, I find taking away the blue light really cuts down on visibility of the screen. It's not so great to be squinting hard at the screen. I often am disabling it. Better to turn off and go to bed.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This has been on my Mac for a long time, it's a program called f.lux , a big YAWN if this is all that 9.3 has. boring.

For one thing, I find taking away the blue light really cuts down on visibility of the screen. It's not so great to be squinting hard at the screen. I often am disabling it. Better to turn off and go to bed.
Seems like a lot of people are interested in it and it's quite interesting that something like that (in addition to other changes) are coming in a point update.

Comment

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Why would you turn it on for just one evening? This feature seems to be something that you generally would want to remain active unless you turn it off temporarily while watching a movie, for example.

Comment

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
Does a night shift toggle mean that even more inconsiderate *******s will think it's OK to use their phones in movie theaters?
No. Because it's not a dark mode.

Night shift? First I heard about this useless thing. If you're having trouble sleeping...just put that ipad away.
You obviously haven't been paying attention. There's a lot of research on the claims that cool light from phones, tablets, and televisions can contribute to insomnia. This feature is not useless.

Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
No. Because it's not a dark mode.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. There's a lot of research on the claims that cool light from phones, tablets, and televisions can contribute to insomnia. This feature is not useless.
If light is the cause of insomnia, would it be hard to put that ipad away for few hours and sleep? Where did you get this research from?

Reactions: AleXXXa
Comment

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.