Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 Preview Page Hints at Night Shift Toggle in Control Center

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the iOS 9.3 beta, Apple introduced a new feature called Night Shift. It's designed to cut down the amount of blue light an iOS device puts out in the evening, as Apple noted that studies have shown that blue light can negatively impact sleep by altering the body's circadian rhythm. Today, reddit user nickjosephson spotted a Night Shift toggle in Control Center on Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 preview page.

[​IMG]

The Night Shift toggle sits next to the brightness slider in Control Center with two options available: "Turn On For Now" and "Turn On Until Tomorrow." While the toggle is shown on an iPad Air, it's likely the new feature works on iPhones as well, though it's unclear where the toggle would fit on the iPhone's smaller Control Center.

The Night Shift toggle is not featured on the American version of the iOS 9.3 preview page, which instead shows Apple News' "For You" section. Apple News is not yet available in Canada, which is the likely reason why the images are different.

Night Shift can be activated on 64-bit iOS devices running iOS 9.3 by toggling it on in the Display and Brightness section of the Settings app. Users can either create their own Night Shift schedule or allow iOS to turn it on after sunset and turn it off at sunrise.

The Night Shift toggle is likely to make its debut in a future beta of iOS 9.3. The next beta is expected in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 Preview Page Hints at Night Shift Toggle in Control Center

2. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

Definitely a needed feature!

Actually I wish they would just let us customize all the toggles.

3. dalthicks macrumors member

dalthicks

I like this option. The only thing I need on the control center now is power save mode :p

4. Yelmurc macrumors regular

Good, a easy way to toggle it on or off would be useful. I'm curious if we can set it up with a time of day as well.

5. iCloudStrife macrumors regular

iCloudStrife

I also like the inclusion of an activity/move/stand summary in the Health app.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yeah, I'd never use a night shift toggle but id use a low power mode toggle all the time.

7. et01267 macrumors newbie

Does a night shift toggle mean that even more inconsiderate *******s will think it's OK to use their phones in movie theaters?

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not really what it does.

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

And optional cellular data settings/personal hotspot. We should just be able to customize the entire control center.

They're adding more and more stuff, at this point we should just be able to change everything to our liking. With iOS 8, iPad Air 2 had to get a different control center, now we are getting night shift toggles. Apple, just let us do what we want to do, and you won't even have to worry about it anymore. People will be able to use any setting they like, you won't need to make that consideration anymore, "Oh this specific piece of hardware requires control center to have a new option, or this software feature probably should be in there" We could just do it all ourselves. Please do this?

Also, that brightness slider is getting tiny lol.

10. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Night shift? First I heard about this useless thing. If you're having trouble sleeping...just put that ipad away.

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

12. kironin macrumors 6502a

kironin

This has been on my Mac for a long time, it's a program called f.lux , a big YAWN if this is all that 9.3 has. boring.

For one thing, I find taking away the blue light really cuts down on visibility of the screen. It's not so great to be squinting hard at the screen. I often am disabling it. Better to turn off and go to bed.

13. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Nice addition, but what we really need is a completely customizable Control Center.

Notification Center is customizable, why not Control Center?

It only makes sense.

14. szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

Unless they are attempting to sleep in said theater, that's not how the feature will be used.

15. ngrai macrumors newbie

So how does one choose the red, green, and blue graph layout shown for the Health app on the iPhone below? There is no apparent way to do it.

16. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

That’s data from Apple Watch, which will be visible in Health come iOS 9.3

17. RobertMartens macrumors 65816

RobertMartens

citizens?

18. stiligFox, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016

stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Almost looks like a leaked image for an iPad with 3D Touch...

ALSO - I have to say that I'm loving Night Shift - for kicks I turned it off one night in bed and the sudden change to the bright cool screen made my eyes tear up from the brightness.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like a lot of people are interested in it and it's quite interesting that something like that (in addition to other changes) are coming in a point update.

20. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Why would you turn it on for just one evening? This feature seems to be something that you generally would want to remain active unless you turn it off temporarily while watching a movie, for example.

21. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

No. Because it's not a dark mode.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. There's a lot of research on the claims that cool light from phones, tablets, and televisions can contribute to insomnia. This feature is not useless.

22. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Or force-touch the battery icon.

23. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

If light is the cause of insomnia, would it be hard to put that ipad away for few hours and sleep? Where did you get this research from?

24. manu chao macrumors 603

If people go to movie theatres to get some sleep, then maybe.

25. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru