Apple can't figure what's wrong: screen image breaking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RSF123, May 13, 2013.

1. RSF123 macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro 5,3 mid 2009 has been to the Apple Store about 3 times. Each time the problem comes back. See attached screen shot. The problem is that the screen image totally fragments.

My 1st motherboard never gave me any trouble, even with 3rd party RAM - but it had to be replaced because the SD card slot was tight.

Ever since the replacement, the resulting problem cannot be solved. First, Apple suspected it was the motherboard which has been replaced twice. Then Apple suspected it was the graphics card or LCD monitor, which were also replaced.

I tested the RAM using the Rember testing software, and that indicated the 3rd party RAM was ok. Note that this same RAM never gave problems with my original motherboard.

Initially, Apple thought it could be software-based, but the problem persisted even with a clean install.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You certainly do have a problem with that screen, there's orange lines all over it!

There isn't much you can do, take it back and insist it's fixed. Have you tried an SMC reset?

3. RSF123 thread starter macrumors newbie

The orange lines are just me using a paint program to erase names displayed in the email program. The orange lines aren't the problem.

4. leman macrumors 604

Tell them to give you a new computer *shrug*. I mean, when you started the repairs, you still had Apple care, did you?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Rember is NOT the way to test your RAM, it uses Memtest which is the App to use but you have to run it in Sigle User Mode.
    Reason is that when you use Remember you are using it inside an OS, the OS will use RAM which then can't be tested, only free RAM can be tested while you run it inside an OS.

If you want to do a good test, download Memtest from the below link and run it from within Single User Mode, click on the guide button on the site linked below, it will download a guide in .txt format, read it, download Memtest and run it.

http://www.memtestosx.org/

----------

That sir was a joke.:p

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

As justperry said, that was a just a joke. I know that's not the problem haha...

Again, it seems like a GPU problem. Possibly software but unlikely if you installed from scratch.

7. RSF123 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a mid-2009, and yes, when the repairs started it was under extended AppleCare. Given its age, is it conceivable that Apple could give me a replacement computer, and what model? The same 2009, or a newer one :) ?

8. leman macrumors 604

I don't think they still have a 2009 model, they will probably give you a base 2013 one or something. Talk to them about it, you are certainly entitled to a working computer if the problems are reproducible.

9. RSF123 thread starter macrumors newbie

This would have been the 4th trip to the repair shop. Apple very kindly offered, without prompting, to give me a current base model, as you predicted.

10. leman macrumors 604

My congratulations :)