Apple can't have a release without at least a 5.5" screen from here on out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spazma7ik, Sep 20, 2014.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I just couldn't see myself spending a year with this only to be forced into a smaller screen (I use the word 'forced' very loosely lol).

Perhaps they could slim the bezels a bit to make it smaller but not a compromised screen!

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Personally. The 4.7 is plenty to behold for me.

3. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I have no doubt that the 4.7 is great for many people. My point is that now Apple has satiated a certain market's desires and it would be pretty damn hard to go back on that (especially considering the success of the plus).

4. Applefan17 macrumors member

Oh absolutely,

They've already been a bit behind when it comes to Android rolling out their larger screens. In my opinion, the 4.7" is plenty, however, as you said, there is no way that they can reverse this decision.

The flood gates have been opened.

5. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I was thinking the same thing. They kind of set a precedent from here on out. I can't see them discontinuing it anytime soon. Judging from the popularity during the preorders and launch day, the 6 Plus is a huge success. Unless phones start to trend back towards being small, I'd say 5.5" is here to stay.

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Not really. Apple had people who loved 3.5" and let go of them. Same with 4" (once the 5s and 5c are discontinued). Also, Apple killed the 17" MBP...not saying they will get rid of the iPhone Plus but it doesn't meant they can't.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Apple will make products based on the market. If that means reducing the 5.5" screen then thats what they will do. If thats what the market dictates then you'll likely be on board with it for whatever reason that is.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think its safe to say that 4.7 and 5.5 are the new minimums for the two models.

Based on the pattern the 6S and 6S+ will have the same design just internal enhancements (maybe a sapphire screen but it will look the same at a glance).

The 7 will introduce an all new design and I would bet that trimming the bezels is on the agenda for that one.

It will be nice if they have a 5.5 inch screen with a smaller bezel. It will make the phone easier to hold and use and I will actually get it.

For now I'm sticking to my 4.7" iPhone 6 which is the pretty much same size as a 5.1" Galaxy S4 because of the bezels.

The other alternative is that they keep the same foot print but enhance the screen size, so maybe 5.1 and 5.7 or 5.9 or something which they could probably fit in the existing dimensions.

9. lls4f macrumors regular

That's probably what users of the 17 inch MacBook Pro's thought....

10. golfdude macrumors regular

Was thinking about that too, when they change a model this much the sales explode. Would like to see something in between a 6 and 6+. A 6E for (e is for enhanced). You get 4GB of RAM, only 128GB and higher.

11. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

i honestly don't think phones are gonna get much bigger because then it just starts to become a tablet.

4.7" / 5.5" are the right sizes. also we don't need higher resolutions for a good while yet. 1080p is just fine.

i think the focus should now shift to the internals. bigger batteries, faster and more powerful cpu/gpu/ram etc. better cameras.

12. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree 100%.

13. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Unless we're going back to that era when companies tried to make phones as small as possible, then no the 5.5 will stick around for quite some time