'Apple' Car Charger and Set-up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmul, Oct 19, 2011.

1. mcmul macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find an iPhone set-up for my car. That is: something to hold it, play music and charge.

I have a MK5 VW Golf and it came with an iPod connector. Sadly, I tried my girlfriend's iPhone 3G in it however it says 'not compatible'. I've not tried my 4S in it yet however I'm not hopeful. Therefore I'm looking to go for a different approach i.e. not using the arm-rest charger and going via the cigarette lighter.

Whilst it's an open-ended (thus open-answer) thread, I titled it 'Apple Car Charger' as I find it weird how they haven't got an official one. Anyone know why?

Note that I'm in the UK thus any American shop recommendations are sadly not appreciated :(

2. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

The older phones sometimes required an Scosche IFWA adapter to work properly. However I can tell you it will work perfectly fine with the factory kit. As a 25 VW shop owner I have plenty of experience in the matter. I just helped a customer set up their's yesterday and we used my phone to demo it for them. No problems what so ever.

Now the VW Bluetooth is a whole other story....good luck if you have it. Probably one of the worst bluetooth set ups out there...some cars works fine others it doesn't

Doesn't matter if it's UK or American delivery Golf....as ALL Golf's are made in the fatherland. There is a vast difference in Mexican and Brazillian made cars we get stuck with (IE Jetta's)