Apple Car

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Sonmi451, May 29, 2015.

1. Sonmi451 Suspended

I don't see any Apple Car sub. Can we get one? Surely Apple is working in one.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Has there been some sort of indication from Apple that an Apple Car is to be expected? Lacking that, I'm not sure what purpose such a sub forum would serve here other than idle speculation.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple doesn't want to sell you a car. Apple wants to sell iOS based systems to car manufacturers.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Sub-forums generally aren't added until a product is actually announced. That's sometime off yet, if it happens at all.

5. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

Bump. With all the articles here, surely we can have an Apple car sub to discuss the project.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That is correct, they are usually added on the day of the keynote and associated sub forums can be added or tweaked later on as the product develops.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As noted, Sub-forums are not created on rumored products. There's really not much to talk about since Apple doesn't have one and denies its working on one.

8. willmtaylor, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Perhaps it's an iPhone Accessory? :D

Seriously though @maflynn & @OllyW , while I know what the policy is, perhaps it should be revised. Since this is indeed a rumors site, it might be worth considering a revision of this policy. After, the question still hasn't been answered: If users do want to discuss future/rumored projects, where are they to discuss them? Industry news?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is how much discussion will occur, and will that level of discussion justify adding a forum and its oversight? I don't think we're at a level of activity where there will be much more discussion other then the occasional news thread.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's a good place to discuss it.

11. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

With the amount of news coming out, I think it will eventually justify its own sub. You can decide when that happens, but it's inevitable. There's news almost every day coming out that is relevant to this project.

I get that an accessory or small rumored product wouldn't need one, but this is a huge complex project that may eventually need its own forum.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

When, and if, such an Apple product is released, then we will likely create a place for it on the forum.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...I understand this, but is it not somewhat of a paradox or catch-22 then? The premise of this site is rumors, not facts. If only facts were reported, it would be an entirely different premise & site.

While I understand the point that you Mods are trying to make here in regard to not creating subs for every rumored future Apple product (for both legwork and clarity purposes), there does seem to be a bit of a discrepancy here.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not really. Rumors get news articles by the editors and they're posted in the news discussion forums for everyone to comment on.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would submit that this site has evolved far beyond only Macs and/or only Rumors.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I guess my point (again) is as follows:

To say that a topic doesn't deserve a sub because it's only a rumor makes sense both in regards to mod work and clarity/ease of site navigation.

To say that this topic falls under this category (and shouldn't have a sub until it's officially acknowledged by Apple) does not make sense given the amount of information circulating around it. Oh, and let's not forget that MR even has a round up on it: http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-car/ Perhaps that's the tipping point instead of official announcement?

Thanks for the consideration, and thanks again for all you guys do. This place really is great.

100% absolutely agree. I'm not arguing that at all. (Furthermore, I think it's great that it has.)

Kind of cherry-picking, aren't we?

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The iWatch/Apple Watch was treated in exactly the same way in the long build up before it's official announcement and also had it's own roundup.

18. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I said an Apple car will need its own forum, not sub. You can either create one or someone else will. You guys are missing an opportunity it's funny someone has to convince you.

Also, Comparing a car to a watch is pretty silly.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will get it's own forum if and when it is officially announced.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sure, I remember.

I'm not speculating on what has been done or what the current policy is; I'm stating my opinion/suggestion that the policy ought to be revisited and/or revised--at least in this instance.

But as the Polish proverb says, "Not my circus, not my monkeys." ;)