Apple Card: All the Details on Apple's Upcoming Credit Card

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Later in the year, Apple is going to launch a new credit card that's linked to Apple Pay and built right into the Wallet app, which iPhone users can sign up for. Apple is partnering with Goldman Sachs for the card, which is going to be optimized for Apple Pay but will still work like a traditional credit card for all of your transactions.

There's a lot of fine print associated with the new Apple Card, so we've created this guide to provide details on what you can expect when it launches in the summer.

Signing Up for Apple Card

According to Apple, signing up for Apple Card will be as simple as opening up the Wallet app, tapping on the Apple Card interface, and walking through the activation steps.

[​IMG]

Once you've signed up for Apple Card, it will be available for use immediately for digital purchases, suggesting Apple will have some kind of pre-qualified application process in place. Apple says availability is subject to credit approval, so you need to qualify for Apple Card just like you do with any other credit card.

For traditional purchases, you will need to wait until Apple ships you the physical Apple Card.

Using Apple Card with Apple Pay

Apple Card is designed to work with any other credit or debit card stored in the Wallet app for use with Apple Pay. You can set it as the default card and use it for in store purchases on iPhone and online purchases on Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

[​IMG]

Using Apple Card for Non-Apple Pay Purchases

If you need to pay for purchases that can't be made with Apple Pay, you can use the physical version of the Apple Card that Apple sends once you sign up.

In addition to Goldman Sachs, Apple is partnering with Mastercard, so the physical Apple Card can be used wherever Mastercard is accepted. Mastercard is fairly ubiquitous around the world, so the Apple Card should be accepted wherever Mastercard is available.

The Titanium Apple Card

With Apple Card you can make digital Apple Pay payments, but Apple is also providing a physical card. Since this is a credit card designed by Apple, it is, of course, unique among credit cards.

[​IMG]

It's made entirely from titanium, which is laser etched with your name. The front of the card does not have a card number or an expiration date listed, and on the back, there's no CVV and no signature. If someone finds or steals your card, there's going to be no real way for them to use it, at least for online purchases.

There's still a traditional magstripe on the back, along with a built-in chip. While the card number and CVV are not on the card itself, you can find them in the Wallet app if you need them.

When you actually get your physical Apple Card, you'll be able to tap it to the iPhone to activate it, so you won't need to place a phone call for activation like you have to do with existing credit cards. The physical Apple Card will not support contactless payments -- you need to use your iPhone for Apple Pay payments. There is no cost for the card and there is no fee associated with replacing it if you lose it.

Ahead of the Apple Card's launch this summer, Apple has been providing its employees with Apple Cards for testing purposes.

Credit Limits

As with any other credit card, there is a credit limit for Apple Card that will vary from person to person. A better credit score means a higher credit limit, and credit limit also increases over time.

Making Payments

You'll be able to pay your Apple Card balance using a linked bank account or Apple Cash in the Wallet app.

Multiple Users

There is no option for multiple users or sharing cards at this time. There's one card per person and one card per account.

Fees

Apple says there are no annual fees, international fees, fees for making a late payment or fees for exceeding your credit limit.

There may be no late fees, but if you make a late or miss one payment, Apple says this will result in "additional accumulating toward your balance." That means making a late payment will not result in penalty rates, aka increased interest rates. You're still going to have to pay interest on the outstanding balance, and a late payment will impact credit score, but interest rates won't increase.

There are no foreign transaction fees, but the exchange rate for foreign transactions is determined by Mastercard.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Apple Card: All the Details on Apple's Upcoming Credit Card

2. Loyalty4Life macrumors regular

Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... 13-24% APR.

3. cppguy macrumors 6502a

The 3% cashback seems to be only for purchasing Apple products and services. It's 2% for Apple Pay (NFC) purchases, and 1% for using the chip on the card.

4. first-to-tea macrumors member

The Apple Card is my favourite product launch since Apple Watch. If they drop the interest rate to a simple flat 10%, Apple will attract a whole new generation of customers. 13-24% is a ridiculous cash grab.

5. AngerDanger, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Apple has designed an incredibly thin titanium… credit card. :D:confused:o_O This is like something I'd come up with!

Then I'd say something like, "Only the Apple Card is guaranteed to be the sharpest knife in your kitchen," and post a GIF I spent too much time on.

[​IMG]

6. fumi2014, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

fumi2014 macrumors regular

Apple getting into credit cards. I feel deeply uneasy about this but I don't know exactly why. I think it's an uncomfortable look for them but hey, it's yet another potential revenue stream and money is what matters - don't let Apple ever convince you of anything else - despite all the empty platitudes and virtue-signalling at their events. Also don't be fooled by the Apple privacy hype. Goldman Sachs are apparently being trusted with all the information.

The Verge:

"Similarly, Apple’s approach to data privacy differs from other credit card companies: Apple is banking on Goldman Sachs to secure users’ credit card data, which also means that Apple won’t be the one held responsible in the event of a breach. Again, Goldman Sachs declined to comment."

I don't think this is going to be anywhere near as exclusive as all the Apple fans would like. American Express and Chase Sapphire(among others) are where the (relative) exclusivity lies with ownership fees as much as $550 just to own the card for one year. This is more like a tier 2 card rather than 4 or 5.

In addition, metal cards are very much as USA/Canada thing. Europe not so much. Amex in the UK don't offer any cards in metal despite the sky-high ownership fees. I would not be surprised to see this launch in the UK as a plastic version. Hope I'm wrong as it will probably force Amex to up its game.

7. IIGS User macrumors member

8. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

I wonder if they’ll have an interest free financing option like Best Buy does. I typically make big purchases through Best Buy for this reason.

9. yossi macrumors regular

Should have made it 3% for all purchases and they would have taken the entire CC market.

10. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

11. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Because Apple was always known as a budget buyer option? Either way, the interest rate is set by the Fed and the bank that ties their APR to that rate. There's not much (if anything) they can do. I'm curious about why people can't figure out that Apple is not a bank, and that yes, BORROWING MONEY (which is what a credit purchase is) draws interest. I get that these days people want everything for free, but now it seems they even want money for free despite risk.

12. sir1963nz macrumors 6502a

I pay less than 6% on my MasterCard , I pay no annual fees, no late fees.
    I only put something on credit when its interest free AND I get a good deal. Last MBP I bought was during a sale and I got 10% off AND interest free for 36 months, bugger Apples deal, too expensive.

13. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

They should tie this in with Apple Care. Like get some sort of warranty reward or extended coverage. Especially with longer life spans of phones, Apple Care + Just doesn't cut it if you plan on using your phone for 2+ years.

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Those are in line with other cards that are considered low rate. Discover is in the same range, but without the same buying network.

15. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

I could be off, but aren't these pretty standard interest rates across the board?

16. moabal macrumors regular

Wake me up when Apple offers real credit card rewards. I understand they are not initially targeting people who like to maximize rewards. Hopefully, their wide user base will get novice people to use this card. Then eventually, they can expand reward options. Otherwise, this card does not make sense for me.

17. Bin Cook macrumors 6502

Complaining about the interest rates? This is a Cook release; you seriously didn't think he wouldn't want your children in exchange?

18. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

So the Apple Card is just another credit card with 2% cash back.

It's nice to have in my wallet, but I'll stick to my cards with 3-4% cash back.

20. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I know this forum will just trash it because it’s not an updated Mac computer, but this really solves a lot of needs for me personally. I am incredibly excited to have my process of payment and tracking of spending be totally within the Apple ecosystem.

21. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

22. Jeffgtx macrumors newbie

23. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

So is the deal with Barclay's 0% financing if paid within a certain time done with? Or is this a sep deal?

24. fishbert macrumors member

I’m waiting to see how easy or difficult will it be to pull transactions into financial management software (like Quicken or Banktivity).

25. Jim Higgins macrumors member

Jim Higgins

Tim "Me Too" Cook's great innovative product innovation-another credit card. Another raging dud.