Apple Card Deferred Payment Program Extended Once Again Through July

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has once again extended its Apple Card COVID-19 Customer Assistance Program by a month, allowing cardholders who enroll in the program to defer their July payment without incurring any interest charges.

To enroll in the program, open the Wallet app on an iPhone or iPad, tap on the Apple Card, tap on the black circle with three dots, tap on the message bubble, and send a message along the lines of "I want to enroll in the Customer Assistance Program." Confirmation of your enrollment will be sent to the email address associated with your Apple ID.

Your outstanding balance of Apple Card purchases will still need to be paid off eventually, but the balance will not accrue interest while you are participating in the program. Customers who previously enrolled in the program for other months will need to enroll again for July.

Apple has a support document with more details, although it does not reflect the July extension yet.

Article Link: Apple Card Deferred Payment Program Extended Once Again Through July

Xavier

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I just got the Apple card yesterday. Looking forward to purchasing a new iPhone and then also a new ARM iMac, whenever those come out!

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
This is nice to take advantage of. Im employed and didnt see any hardships due to COVID-19, but it let me be able to pay down other bills while I let my Apple Card be on the back burner. I'm not out buying TVs and maxing out my card though and am being smart about it.

MrKennedy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
Whist I totally understand why they're doing this, my concern is how many people are going to end up with a bill they can't pay off when this "promotion" comes to an end?

I suspect that for a lot of people, such deals will terminate long before they're able to get a job again.

Then what?
Agreed.

Totally understand how this program can help alleviate some financial pressure due to the impact of COVID-19, but this can become it's own pressure when the program ends. Tough spot for many :/

Reactions: redneckitengineer

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I got this card and love it. Love the implementation with my phone and how easy it is to see everything at a glance. Also love the monthly installments with Apple stuff. Don't need it at all from a financial perspective, but try to take advantage of 0% interest deals whenever I can just because it's a good deal. I used to buy from Best Buy because of this, but will be switching to the Apple Store from here on out.

Reactions: Costino1

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I got this card and love it. Love the implementation with my phone and how easy it is to see everything at a glance. Also love the monthly installments with Apple stuff. Don't need it at all from a financial perspective, but try to take advantage of 0% interest deals whenever I can just because it's a good deal. I used to buy from Best Buy because of this, but will be switching to the Apple Store from here on out.
I agree with you 100%. I use my card same as cash. I pay my balance weekly and I enjoy seeing my payment breakdown. I no longer need to use Excel/Quicken to track my spending habits.

Oldfash33

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Whist I totally understand why they're doing this, my concern is how many people are going to end up with a bill they can't pay off when this "promotion" comes to an end?

I suspect that for a lot of people, such deals will terminate long before they're able to get a job again.

Then what?
Great point

compwiz1202

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2010

Then what?
The main question is does defer mean skip payments, and then have a huge payment, or do those payments get shifted to the end? If payments are piling up, that doesn't do much good for anyone. They need to be shifted to the end. Or they at least have to make reasonable arrangements to pay the deferred part.

EDIT: Read the support doc, and it reads as if you pay the same minimum as usual once the program ends, and you don't accrue any interest until it ends. So that is the good way to do it. Seems to be much easier to do it that way for CCs and loans other than mortgages with other stuff rolled in. And no way to really make it work well for rent.
- - Post merged: - -

Why would you be paying it off weekly?
--wrong quote/poster
More frequent payments don't usually help with CCs because the interest is only accrued at statement time. It definitely helps installment loans that accrue interest daily. Especially if you make payments based on four pay weeks, and just pay a fifth payment in the months with five.

Last edited:

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
If Apple is serious about this, their won't do this again

As much as no one likes paying interest, and i guess it also attracts customers. they should be reflecing their website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.