Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumordude

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Question about Large purchases with Apple Card:

I’ve noticed that people with Apple Card have had their purchases declined, especially for more expensive purchases. For those, could you please let me know:

When you applied in the wallet app, were you asked to take pictures of your ID?

I’m just suspecting that they need valid proof that you’re the proper card owner. For me, I was prompted to take front and back pictures of my ID when I applied. I used my driver license.

I might be wrong about this. Thanks.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
NO ID photos taken or uploaded to GS when I applied.

Yes, large purchases do trigger an alert and GS may decline the charge unless you message them ahead of time and let them know your intended purchase.

Reactions: macrumordude

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013

Yes, large purchases do trigger an alert and GS may decline the charge unless you message them ahead of time and let them know your intended purchase.

What kind of amateur card is this? They approve you, grant you a card with a spending limit and then you must message them in advance to let them know you will be making a "large" purchase. Incredible. If GS and Apple had properly vetted applicants rather than wanting to appear to be giving this "wonderful new financial tool" to almost everyone, this nonsense could have been avoided. Imagine having to ask "permission" from the likes of GS to purchase something. And yet, the sheep are almost stampeding to obtain this card.

Society is really heading down the drain.

Vally1945

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2019
Palm Springs, CA
What kind of amateur card is this? They approve you, grant you a card with a spending limit and then you must message them in advance to let them know you will be making a "large" purchase. Incredible. If GS and Apple had properly vetted applicants rather than wanting to appear to be giving this "wonderful new financial tool" to almost everyone, this nonsense could have been avoided. Imagine having to ask "permission" from the likes of GS to purchase something. And yet, the sheep are almost stampeding to obtain this card.

I agree. This really is BS. If I get approved for a card with a limit, I expect to be able to spend as much as I want in that limit. No questions asked.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Whats the definition of a "large" purchase though? I made a $2500 dollar purchase without a problem (no it was not at the Apple Store).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Define large purchase? I've made $300-400 purchases with my Apple Card, but nothing over that yet.

I didn't need to provide images of my ID, but my wife was prompted to do so. When she went through the process it couldn't verify her information because she has one of the "enhanced" drivers licenses and was unable to complete the application.

macrumordude

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Whats the definition of a "large" purchase though? I made a $2500 dollar purchase without a problem (no it was not at the Apple Store).

Thanks. Can I ask, when you applied, were you prompted to take pictures of the front and back or your picture ID?
[doublepost=1568093980][/doublepost]Thanks for all comments and info. How curious. I do understand that large purchases (like $2500) would trigger an alert. Because, when I had surgery way back (it was $3000), I remember that I had to call my bank and notify them--but I don't remember how it was triggered.

At the same time, I also do see that If you get approved for a card with a limit, you'd expect to be able to spend as much as you want in that limit. Yes, No questions asked.

How curious, both these situations.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks. Can I ask, when you applied, were you prompted to take pictures of the front and back or your picture ID?
[doublepost=1568093980][/doublepost]Thanks for all comments and info. How curious. I do understand that large purchases (like $2500) would trigger an alert. Because, when I had surgery way back (it was $3000), I remember that I had to call my bank and notify them--but I don't remember how it was triggered.

At the same time, I also do see that If you get approved for a card with a limit, you'd expect to be able to spend as much as you want in that limit. Yes, No questions asked.

How curious, both these situations.
I was not asked to provide identification when I applied.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I just made a $1,987 purchase at a furniture store using Apple Pay with my Apple Card and ran into no issues.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
The only purchases I put through before my card was declined and restricted were all under $20. I have a $30,000 limit. The most information I’ve managed to get out of them so far is that they think I might be deceased?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012

I’ve noticed that people with Apple Card have had their purchases declined, especially for more expensive purchases. For those, could you please let me know:

I’m just suspecting that they need valid proof that you’re the proper card owner. For me, I was prompted to take front and back pictures of my ID when I applied. I used my driver license.

I might be wrong about this. Thanks.
Well I just purchased a ring for my wife (impressed that the jeweler at the craft fair we were at took Apple Pay) and the cost was a bit over $2,500. Not only was it approved immediately BUT there was no signature required - which did surprise me (used to that happening with my morning bagel and coffee).
No - I was not asked to take pictures and I was approved for a credit line of $20K with an interest rate of 12.9%. (Not bragging or showing off, just for informational purposes - like the cost of the ring.)

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Well I just purchased a ring for my wife (impressed that the jeweler at the craft fair we were at took Apple Pay) and the cost was a bit over $2,500. Not only was it approved immediately BUT there was no signature required - which did surprise me (used to that happening with my morning bagel and coffee).
No - I was not asked to take pictures and I was approved for a credit line of $20K with an interest rate of 12.9%. (Not bragging or showing off, just for informational purposes - like the cost of the ring.)
I used mine to buy new iStuff and no issues.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
The only purchases I put through before my card was declined and restricted were all under $20. I have a $30,000 limit. The most information I’ve managed to get out of them so far is that they think I might be deceased?
I hope you pointed out that the news of your death has been greatly exaggerated! ;)

Reactions: aristobrat

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Worked fine for me when getting the new i11 with Apple Pay. Zero complaints about the card at this point. I do like the fact that it’s more secure than a regular credit card, so far.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Worked fine for me when getting the new i11 with Apple Pay. Zero complaints about the card at this point. I do like the fact that it’s more secure than a regular credit card, so far.

More secure? If you read the posts in this thread it is clear that the various accepted transactions and declined transactions are not due to finely honed security but to an incompetent company with no credit card experience making decisions on the fly with little rhyme or reason.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
More secure? If you read the posts in this thread it is clear that the various accepted transactions and declined transactions are not due to finely honed security but to an incompetent company with no credit card experience making decisions on the fly with little rhyme or reason.

I’m not talking about that, I was referring to the extra security not having the numbers exposed and the app integration with the phone. Of course someone here will say “yeah that’s not secure at all”, well the. If you have that mentality then nothing is, and might as well just continue to be a curmudgeon and complain about everything. Experiences vary person, just like the credit limits, approval process and all that.

glhughes

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Just had two online transactions declined tonight, both were about $600. No messages or anything sent to my phone like other cards do if something looks suspicious. Early adopter. Provided income and photos of ID when applying. Nowhere near the credit limit. Paid my first bill early. Surprised and disappointed. Had to use another card and of course the purchases went straight through.

EDIT: Finally got in touch with Apple via the messaging system. All they would say is that my account was flagged for verification for some reason. Other banks (e.g. Chase) send me an email to call them when stuff like that happens. Would have expected this kind of issue to show up as a warning in the Wallet app.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmusic

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Can you pay off your balance early with no penalty? If so, how do you do that?

It's really easy right in the wallet app... I make payments pretty much every day.... As soon as charges post I pay them off.

Reactions: OkiRun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.