Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its U.S. Apple Card Monthly Installment plan to require those who use the feature to purchase an iPhone that is linked to AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile. With this change, the Apple Card Monthly Installment plan can no longer be used to purchase a SIM-free iPhone.

apple-card-feature2.jpg

All iPhones purchased through the Apple Card Monthly Installment plan are unlocked so carrier switching is available at any point, but at purchase, customers will need to have a plan with a supported carrier. Buying a SIM-free iPhone and linking it to a carrier like Mint Mobile will no longer be possible using installments.

Apple announced these changes in an updated support document back in June, and the monthly installment plan has officially been updated. Prior to now, Apple Card installments could be used to purchase an iPhone online with the option to connect to a carrier at a later date, which allowed customers to buy an iPhone and then link it to any carrier of their choosing.

Apple already required customers using Apple Card installments to choose one of the main three carriers when in stores, and now the online policy matches the in-store policy.

With the Apple Card Monthly Installment plan, Apple Card holders can pay for their devices over a 24-month period with 0% APR and 3% Daily Cash back on payments.

Apple today is also changing the monthly installment term for the Apple Watch, and customers will be required to pay off the device over 12 months instead of 24 months. Apple now uses a 12-month term for Apple Watch, Macs, displays, and iPads, with the 24-month term limited to the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Card Monthly Financing No Longer Available for SIM-Free iPhones

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Is the "all phones are unlocked" statement a new thing? Because ATT was most definitely locking iPhones on their network that they had no other entitlement/right to lock as late as last week because mine I purchased using this option was most definitely locked and would not accept another SIM without calling ATT to get them to follow the rule (and law in this case, you cannot market a phone as unlocked and then SIM lock it).

ATT has consistently been very aggressive about locking phones they have no actual right or business locking IME. They will unlock it when you call them out on it, but, really, that is unethical and sleazy to say the least.

AlinomyTomy

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2023
Is the "all phones are unlocked" statement a new thing? Because ATT was most definitely locking iPhones on their network that they had no other entitlement/right to lock as late as last week because mine I purchased using this option was most definitely locked and would not accept another SIM without calling ATT to get them to follow the rule (and law in this case, you cannot market a phone as unlocked and then SIM lock it).

ATT has consistently been very aggressive about locking phones they have no actual right or business locking IME. They will unlock it when you call them out on it, but, really, that is unethical and sleazy to say the least.
All the ones Apple sells have been unlocked, even with a SIM included, but carriers and big box stores do sell locked versions.

Reactions: alexandr

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
What is driving 24 months for iPhone? Competing deal with the carriers? Not understanding the logic…

I did purchase my 13PM sim-free on 24 months 0 interest, which was attractive, now, with Apple Card I’m just getting 3%, which is decent but far less attractive.

And I will never sign up for carrier financing anymore even though I’ve been with VZ for over 10 years…

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Crazy that the carriers have this much pull with Apple.

This is potentially Goldman pushing for it.

Does this fall under Anti Trust?

This has literally nothing to do with antitrust law.

ATT is a substandard carrier, so I'm not surprised. Verizon's phones are unlocked by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.