Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleZilla

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Looking over the benefits of my new Apple Card. There are no extended warranty coverage on items. I just had an expensive kitchen appliance ($450) burn out 6 months after the warranty was over. The manufacturer told me they would not do anything. My Citi card refunded the entire purchase price.

Doubt I'll use this card for anything except Apple products. And if they don't provide zero percent financing like the now defunct Barclay Apple Card, I probably will hardly use it at all. If I want to pay interest, I can find better rates than 12.99% elsewhere.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
All of the Terms and Conditions as well as benefits have been clearly laid out for a while.
None of this should be a surprise, just well known facts of what the card is and isn't.

If you aren't going to use it, then why did you even get it?

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Looking over the benefits of my new Apple Card. There are no extended warranty coverage on items. I just had an expensive kitchen appliance ($450) burn out 6 months after the warranty was over. The manufacturer told me they would not do anything. My Citi card refunded the entire purchase price.

Doubt I'll use this card for anything except Apple products. And if they don't provide zero percent financing like the now defunct Barclay Apple Card, I probably will hardly use it at all. If I want to pay interest, I can find better rates than 12.99% elsewhere.
IMO this isn't a card to be financing stuff on. The point of this card is the instant cash back and very transparent charges. They want you paying it off every month to avoid interest.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California

If I get it, I'll use it for my Apple gear and Apple related subscription purchases, to include Apple Care. I don't every see the physical card leaving my house.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
FYI Citi and Discover are ending those benefits too. As of next month, your Citi card won’t protect purchases.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I’m sure Apple realized that if they offered that protection, that essentially customers would have Apple refunding money without buying AppleCare. And in situations where the design flaws and such have caused problems (later resulting in class action cases), a buyer would likewise potentially be requiring Apple to refund their purchase if an Apple product failed.

Other credit card companies generally have no merchandise that they are personally invested in. But Apple has a hardware line and services business that they sell. They certainly don’t want disgruntled customers using the Apple Card to force Apple to refund their money.

The other credit card companies are generally playing the gamble that offerings these incentives will encourage you to use the credit card, and that your charges will hopefully generate interest, and that the interest will hopefully exceed any losses they may potentially incur from the benefits they lured you in with.

AppleZilla

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
IMO this isn't a card to be financing stuff on. The point of this card is the instant cash back and very transparent charges. They want you paying it off every month to avoid interest.

Then they might as well have partnered with American Express. Or made it a debit card.

You really think a credit card company wants you to pay it off every month? Funny.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
As extended warranty and other features have been axed on many cards, this isn't surprising. Discover with the 5% Discover Deals on Apple purchases used to be the sweet spot (extended warranty + discounts), but both ended and Citi has also cut back.

My strategy is to use my Amex for any substantial hardware purchases for the extended warranty (they seem to be keeping it for now, even on their no-annual-fee cards) and using other cards for areas where their rewards may be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.