Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Disappointed the Apple Card doesn’t offer extended warranty, damage and theft protection on purchases. I’m debating if I should purchase the new iPhone on the Apple Card for the 3% cash back or use my amazon prime card for 1% back but with extended warranty and 90 days of damage and theft protection . I have the Citi double cash card with 2% but Citi is dropping extended warranty and damage and theft on September 22nd, suspiciously right around the iPhone launch.

I’ll probably go with the amazon card. Saving about $20 isn’t worth the loss of benefits.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I’ve always been confused on this. Visa and MasterCard have their own tiers (signature/world elite) which have perks like that included. So don’t all CC’s of that level have the extra warranty?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Put aside the novelty of the metal card, and integration with (or slavery to) the ecosystem, there's really nothing special, or extra compelling about the Apple Card when an objective comparison is made.

The ancillary benefits are ultimately up to the issuer. The fine print you get in the mail is what outlines the terms, not the logo on the card. The card network may package them in marketing tiers, but don't set the terms of what a particular card offers, and disclaim to that effect. Citi is cutting way back on the benefits for most of its cards later this month.

As for the extended warranties, AMEX is reputed to have the best program, and having used it a couple times, I'm inclined to agree. It's straightforward to file a claim, and when it's paid, it's issued directly to your account as a credit, instead of a mailed check like the others.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I've only ever known one credit card to have offered an extended warranty on purchases and that was a Barclaycard I had many years ago. It gave me an additional 1 year of the manufacturers equivalent warranty coverage. Barclaycard withdrew that card and it's benefits a number of years ago.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I've only ever known one credit card to have offered an extended warranty on purchases and that was a Barclaycard I had many years ago. It gave me an additional 1 year of the manufacturers equivalent warranty coverage. Barclaycard withdrew that card and it's benefits a number of years ago.

I think almost all credit cards had the benefits until recently. In fact, Citibank was the best with additional two years extended warranty on all their cards. That will all change September 22. The bulk of their cards will drop the benefits. The whole thing sucks, now I’m forced to carry a bunch of cards. For expensive purchases, amazon prime is my go to card now.

Theintruder mentioned the Apple Card being a novelty. I have to agree. There’s is no reason for me to use the Apple Card over the double cash since I get 2% back on everything. But I enjoy seeing all my charges popping up quickly on the phone and being able to check on purchase activities so easily. I’ll bet most people don’t check bank credit cards until bill is due and sometimes the total due is a shocker.

Too bad, the Apple Card could had been so much more if it had standard benefits or having a higher cash back like 3%. That would instantly make the Apple Card the go to Card for most.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
I’ve always been confused on this. Visa and MasterCard have their own tiers (signature/world elite) which have perks like that included. So don’t all CC’s of that level have the extra warranty?

Nope. Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex etc. are co-branded and issued by a bank or merchant or sometimes both. Those co-brands are allowed to offer the terms they want. No one gets a card straight from Visa etc.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Well if the card offered extended warranty, then you wouldn't buy Apple Care. duh

AppleCare still way better. Extended warranty will only pay for services that would otherwise be covered under the original warranty. Stuff like damaged screens or water damage are not covered after 90 days from theft and damage protection. And there is usually a maximum credit cards will pay out. Somewhere in the bark park of around $500-800. Amex probably a lot higher.

If you are worried about damaged screens and water damage, AppleCare is the way to go. Stuff like broken home button, camera, broken mic or speaker, broken lightning port and faceid should be covered by extended warranty.

Reactions: mrbjr

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Nope. Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex etc. are co-branded and issued by a bank or merchant or sometimes both. Those co-brands are allowed to offer the terms they want. No one gets a card straight from Visa etc.

Then what’s the point of those different tiers? If you go on their sites they mention those perks.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
AppleCare still way better. Extended warranty will only pay for services that would otherwise be covered under the original warranty. Stuff like damaged screens or water damage are not covered after 90 days from theft and damage protection. And there is usually a maximum credit cards will pay out. Somewhere in the bark park of around $500-800. Amex probably a lot higher.

If you are worried about damaged screens and water damage, AppleCare is the way to go. Stuff like broken home button, camera, broken mic or speaker, broken lightning port and faceid should be covered by extended warranty.
I know this. I'm talking about the general public. They may be tempted to go with a card's extended warranty instead of Apple Care. That's why Apple doesn't offer it. They just removed all doubt so to speak.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I think almost all credit cards had the benefits until recently. In fact, Citibank was the best with additional two years extended warranty on all their cards. That will all change September 22. The bulk of their cards will drop the benefits. The whole thing sucks, now I’m forced to carry a bunch of cards. For expensive purchases, amazon prime is my go to card now.

Theintruder mentioned the Apple Card being a novelty. I have to agree. There’s is no reason for me to use the Apple Card over the double cash since I get 2% back on everything. But I enjoy seeing all my charges popping up quickly on the phone and being able to check on purchase activities so easily. I’ll bet most people don’t check bank credit cards until bill is due and sometimes the total due is a shocker.

Too bad, the Apple Card could had been so much more if it had standard benefits or having a higher cash back like 3%. That would instantly make the Apple Card the go to Card for most.

2% cash back would be amazing! The best I can get is American Express, which is 1%. I can get 0.5% with a Visa (Barclaycard, Tandem etc).

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Then what’s the point of those different tiers? If you go on their sites they mention those perks.

If you look at visa.com, and delve further into the site, it will always refer you to find a card that suits your needs. Benefits of the actual card issuer will vary. Again, NO ONE gets a card straight from Visa. It always comes from a financial institution and is many times co-branded with a merchant's name. They issuer is the ultimate decider of exactly what benefits you will get. Visa sets minimum standards that the actual issuers have to meet, they may opt to offer more. The transactions you make are handled by the Visa network. An example of this is Best Buy. The Best Buy card has their name on it, but it is issued by Citi. It is a Visa card in that it is handled over the Visa network, and must meet the standards that Citi and Best Buy agree to by contract they sign with Visa in order to use the Visa name.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

Accidental damage coverage wasn't added to AppleCare until the switch to the Plus plans, with a corresponding price increase.

AC+ is really a combination of a warranty and support extension with accident insurance, and optional theft/loss coverage at additional cost.

With a good card program, it doesn't have to be a choice between one or the other; it can be beneficial to have both. Again, using AMEX as an example, one can still purchase AppleCare, and AMEX's extended warranty kicks in after AC expires, so for a Mac, there is four full years of coverage. That fourth year of coverage may not cover accidents, but it's free, and well into the product's lifetime.

Some time has passed since that story was written, but I haven't noted any change in terms to AMEX's program. In fact, they enhanced it last year as others are cutting back.

Citi's Costco Visa is the only card that doesn't seem to be cutting benefits.

It should also be noted that many of these benefits are secondary, especially the rental car coverage, which covers what one's primary car insurance does not cover. AMEX offers primary rental coverage for a small fee, but one has to enroll in the program, after which it will automatically add the coverage to each rental made with their card.

Not trying to sound like an AMEX cheerleader, but it's an easy choice when I make big purchases. If my Citi card didn't have such a long history (it was at one time the original Apple credit card), I'd have closed it, based just on their customer service. Some don't call it Shitibank for nuthin'.

No matter, the bottom line is one has to read the fine print, for any card.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I know this. I'm talking about the general public. They may be tempted to go with a card's extended warranty instead of Apple Care. That's why Apple doesn't offer it. They just removed all doubt so to speak.

Extended warranty is not just for Apple stuff. Extended warranty covers all your purchases so not having it is a miss on apple’s part. Apple also missing all the other benefits like price matching, travel and luggage benefits, concierge service, car rental insurance, trip cancellation and delay, etc.
Accidental damage coverage wasn't added to AppleCare until the switch to the Plus plans, with a corresponding price increase.

AC+ is really a combination of a warranty and support extension with accident insurance, and optional theft/loss coverage at additional cost.

With a good card program, it doesn't have to be a choice between one or the other; it can be beneficial to have both. Again, using AMEX as an example, one can still purchase AppleCare, and AMEX's extended warranty kicks in after AC expires, so for a Mac, there is four full years of coverage. That fourth year of coverage may not cover accidents, but it's free, and well into the product's lifetime.

Some time has passed since that story was written, but I haven't noted any change in terms to AMEX's program. In fact, they enhanced it last year as others are cutting back.

Citi's Costco Visa is the only card that doesn't seem to be cutting benefits.

It should also be noted that many of these benefits are secondary, especially the rental car coverage, which covers what one's primary car insurance does not cover. AMEX offers primary rental coverage for a small fee, but one has to enroll in the program, after which it will automatically add the coverage to each rental made with their card.

Not trying to sound like an AMEX cheerleader, but it's an easy choice when I make big purchases. If my Citi card didn't have such a long history (it was at one time the original Apple credit card), I'd have closed it, based just on their customer service. Some don't call it Shitibank for nuthin'.

No matter, the bottom line is one has to read the fine print, for any card.

You are not kidding about shitibank. Lol. I have the same issue, been with them since my college days and that was decades ago. I can barely understand what half the reps are saying.

Citi bank Costco Card is great but you only get rewards once a year. That’s annoying.

You pique my interest in Amex. Gonna take a serious look at it.

You are right about AppleCare and AppleCare plus. The plus costs a lot more and might not be worth it. Thanks for reminding me about extended warranty kicking in after AppleCare expires, having 3-4 years of warranty is awesome. You convince me buying a new expensive apple product with the Apple Card is not worth it. That extended warranty is worth much more than the few buck I would save from cash back.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Disappointed the Apple Card doesn’t offer extended warranty, damage and theft protection on purchases. I’m debating if I should purchase the new iPhone on the Apple Card for the 3% cash back or use my amazon prime card for 1% back but with extended warranty and 90 days of damage and theft protection . I have the Citi double cash card with 2% but Citi is dropping extended warranty and damage and theft on September 22nd, suspiciously right around the iPhone launch.

I’ll probably go with the amazon card. Saving about $20 isn’t worth the loss of benefits.
Agreed, the Apple card benefits don't seem to be there for a Mastercard...

I am wishful thinking that when the new iPhone launches this week that by using the new Apple Card:
1. Free AppleCare with every iPhone purchased from Apple's site.
OR
2. 0% interest financing
OR
3. X% cash back bonus

Am I being too optimistic ???

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Agreed, the Apple card benefits don't seem to be there for a Mastercard...

I am wishful thinking that when the new iPhone launches this week that by using the new Apple Card:
1. Free AppleCare with every iPhone purchased from Apple's site.
OR
2. 0% interest financing
OR
3. X% cash back bonus

Am I being too optimistic ???

Apple can use any of the above as a sign on bonus which they lack as well.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
After reading this I went and checked all my cards extended warranty polices.
Discover card discontinued theirs as of 2018
Amex- One extra year on warranties 3 years or less
Amazon Visa- One extra year on warranties 3 years or less

There are a lot of terms and conditions on what is covered and what isn't You should really call the card to inquire before making a large purchase. I wasn't aware of how much the cards have taken away in terms of extra benefits that used to be offered as a perk.

I guess Apple not offering an extended warranty isn't as odd as I originally thought based on what I've seen the others offering

Reactions: timeconsumer

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
After reading this I went and checked all my cards extended warranty polices.
Discover card discontinued theirs as of 2018
Amex- One extra year on warranties 3 years or less
Amazon Visa- One extra year on warranties 3 years or less

There are a lot of terms and conditions on what is covered and what isn't You should really call the card to inquire before making a large purchase. I wasn't aware of how much the cards have taken away in terms of extra benefits that used to be offered as a perk.

I guess Apple not offering an extended warranty isn't as odd as I originally thought based on what I've seen the others offering
Wonder if the rise of the fragile smartphones have something to do with the policy change. Unlike TVs, none mobile electronics, desktop computers, they rarely break. Smartphones on the other hand are a gamble every day.

Reactions: Ed A. and DotCom2

noSpeed

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Wonder if the rise of the fragile smartphones have something to do with the policy change. Unlike TVs, none mobile electronics, desktop computers, they rarely break. Smartphones on the other hand are a gamble every day.
...which is exactly why I don't understand the people who don't use a case. $20 case or a $200+ screen, plus the inconvenience of having to repair it. Seems like an easy choice to me, but to each his own.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I applied for the Apple card last week and within about 5 hours I called and had them cancel it. It seemed like a nice idea at first being that I could get 3%, have a card I could use on the internet very easily, control it through the Apple Pay app etc.
However after reading some more about it and thinking it over, I came to the conclusion that there are more limiting things about this card than anything. Just the fact that it's bill has to be paid through the Apple Pay app and the fact that customer service is only easily reachable through this app makes it far less attractive. You can't even see your account number anywhere else including on the card itself. If you change phones or god forbid go to Android, you have a real problem on your hands.
Actually the whole idea kind've smacks of an idea presented at a board meeting by someone who came up with an idea of how to get people to want to stay with their Iphones instead of going elsewhere.

Reactions: Kmart9419

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I applied for the Apple card last week and within about 5 hours I called and had them cancel it. It seemed like a nice idea at first being that I could get 3%, have a card I could use on the internet very easily, control it through the Apple Pay app etc.
However after reading some more about it and thinking it over, I came to the conclusion that there are more limiting things about this card than anything. Just the fact that it's bill has to be paid through the Apple Pay app and the fact that customer service is only easily reachable through this app makes it far less attractive. You can't even see your account number anywhere else including on the card itself. If you change phones or god forbid go to Android, you have a real problem on your hands.
Actually the whole idea kind've smacks of an idea presented at a board meeting by someone who came up with an idea of how to get people to want to stay with their Iphones instead of going elsewhere.
I ran into this problem. My phone got damaged and is stuck in a bootloop. I was expecting to pay $550 for the replacement but wanted it on my Apple Card for the 3%.

Since my iPhone is down, I can’t use Apple Pay. I have the physical card which I locked. Called Goldman Sachs to unlock the card but was told the only way to unlock card is with the phone. Or another idevice I was told. I didn’t want to mess with my family’s devices with removing their Apple ID and installing mine with the potential of messing a lot of stuff up like contacts. Well, wasn’t a good experience.

Once the novelty wears off, I’ll probably go back to using the Citi double cash as my every day card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.