Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Card users are reporting the credit card is now showing up on Experian credit file reports. Reporting of Apple Card information was previously limited to credit bureau TransUnion (via Reddit).

apple-card-feature2.jpg

Though not officially confirmed by Apple or Goldman Sachs, several Reddit users have noticed the creditor addition to their Experian credit reports. Some users, however, have not seen any credit report changes, so the reporting may still be rolling out.

Like any credit card, Apple Card credit reporting can either positively or negatively impact users' credit scores based on how the card is used.

When the Apple Card card first launched last August, credit data was reported to neither of the three United States credit bureaus, and it wasn't until December that Goldman Sachs began reporting Apple Card information to TransUnion.

Although it appears Apple Card information is now being reported to both TransUnion and Experian, it remains to be seen as to when credit reporting may begin to Equifax.

To apply for an ‌Apple Card‌, simply open the Wallet app on an iPhone running iOS 12.4 or later, tap the plus button in the top-right corner, and follow the on-screen steps. The process takes just a few minutes, and if approved, a digital ‌Apple Card‌ will be ready for purchases immediately. A physical titanium-based Apple Card is also available for use at retail stores that do not accept contactless payments.

Key Apple Card features include color-coded spending summaries in the Wallet app, no fees beyond any applicable interest, and up to three percent cashback on purchases paid out daily.

Article Link: Apple Card Now Appearing on Experian Credit Reports

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2008
Hopefully we are getting closer to card sharing with our spouses.
Very interesting that they don't allow it. Since time immemorial cards have allowed the customer to add additional users to an account.

Last edited by a moderator:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Very interesting that they don't allow it. Since time immemorial cards have allowed the customer to add additional users to an account.
Or at least since the 70s or 80s 🙂

Apple (or maybe it was Goldman) has confirmed that authorized users will be supported, though they didn’t say when they would roll it out.

Reactions: CarlJ

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So which one is best?
That varies depending on how you define best. NerdWallet does a monthly update but thepointsguy.com is more hardcore.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ and TOGURO06

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So which one is best?

Different credit cards are targeted to different audiences. Those who don't want to pay fees, those who want rewards of some kind, etc.

Pre Covid for those who traveled a lot one of the best cards was Chase Sapphire reserve. 50000 points for signup, $100 credit for Global Entry, free international lounge access. 3 points per travel dollar spent, and the points could be transferred directly to various airlines who give you a much better value for your points. Normal redemption value is something like 2 cents per point. For one redemption in the past (Singapore airlines, maybe) I got something like $.15 cents per point, a $15k redemption. I have recovered the $195 a year ($495 minus $300 for the first $300 in travel expenses) by 10-100 times.

Reactions: TOGURO06

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Not the best imo, but it’s better than most.

ETA: I’d love to know the reason for Goldman’s delay in reporting; I’d have a lot of trouble believing it could be a technical issue.

My understanding is there is still an impasse with Equifax over the fee Equifax would charge to provide customer information to GS for applicants, GS is not reporting to them.

Apparently TransUnion, and Experian have reached an amicable agreement with GS.

Last edited:

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I got this card last month, and have been using it exclusively for anything that gives me 3% back, including all my other apple services. I love the cash back and will probably use it towards a new Mac or new iPhone. Thanks Apple for the money!

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Do you still have to pull out your phone to use it if you don't also have the Apple Watch?

No, you can transmit the card information telepathically to the card terminal
[automerge]1595252334[/automerge]
Are you at all familiar with the subject you’re commenting on?

It's an internet forum, so no, why would he.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
So which one is best?
There is no single card that is best for all situations.

Have you ever been in line at the grocery store and stood next to someone who has 10-12+ credit cards in their wallet?

That's because different cards are better than others in different situations. One card might be better at Big Box Store A, another might be better at Big Box Store B. Some cards are best at specific retailers (e.g., Amazon). Others might be better for on-premise dining, others at gas stations, others for international travel, other for a specific loyalty club (like airline miles).

Some might have extra rewards during a limited introductory period or a finite promotional period.

Some cards offer extra benefits like recent purchase protection. If you use one of these cards to buy a brand new iPhone and you drop it in the store parking lot smashing the screen, you can get it replaced at no additional cost.

Other cards offer things like smartphone replacement if your handset should get lost, stolen, destroyed if you use that card to pay your monthly cellular bill.

Some cards might have an extremely high credit limit. Other cards might have a low interest rate or favorable balance transfer terms.

I think the AMEX Platinum card's annual membership fee is $550 right now. However it allows you to book a free companion ticket if you book a full-fare business class fare through AMEX's in-house travel reservation service. You just need to pay the fees and taxes on the companion ticket (the latter does not accummulate awards points). If it's an international flight, chances are you will either break even or come out $100-150 ahead compared to buying two discounted business class fares online. The Platinum Card also reimburses for CBP Global Entry fees ($100 every five years) and offers access to business lounges at airports when the airline ticket is booked on that card. For frequent travelers (at least before COVID-19) the latter itself is make the Platinum Card attractive since the annual membership fees to an airline lounge start approaching the Platinum Card fee.

Certain cards have a reputation for better customer service.

Stuff like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zen_Arcade

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
There is no single card that is best for all situations.

Have you ever been in line at the grocery store and stood next to someone who has 10-12+ credit cards in their wallet?

That's because different cards are better than others in different situations. One card might be better at Big Box Store A, another might be better at Big Box Store B. Some cards are best at specific retailers (e.g., Amazon). Others might be better for on-premise dining, others at gas stations, others for international travel, other for a specific loyalty club (like airline miles).

Some might have extra rewards during a limited introductory period or a finite promotional period.

Some cards offer extra benefits like recent purchase protection. If you use one of these cards to buy a brand new iPhone and you drop it in the store parking lot smashing the screen, you can get it replaced at no additional cost.

Other cards offer things like smartphone replacement if your handset should get lost, stolen, destroyed if you use that card to pay your monthly cellular bill.

Some cards might have an extremely high credit limit. Other cards might have a low interest rate or favorable balance transfer terms.

I think the AMEX Platinum card's annual membership fee is $550 right now. However it allows you to book a free companion ticket if you book a full-fare business class fare through AMEX's in-house travel reservation service. You just need to pay the fees and taxes on the companion ticket (the latter does not accummulate awards points). If it's an international flight, chances are you will either break even or come out $100-150 ahead compared to buying two discounted business class fares online. The Platinum Card also reimburses for CBP Global Entry fees ($100 every five years) and offers access to business lounges at airports when the airline ticket is booked on that card. For frequent travelers (at least before COVID-19) the latter itself is make the Platinum Card attractive since the annual membership fees to an airline lounge start approaching the Platinum Card fee.

Certain cards have a reputation for better customer service.

Stuff like that.

Exactly. In theory one card can fit the needs of any person in terms of spending. But most people go after credit cards for rewards and benefits to them individually. Some cards are better at grocery stores, some offer more cash back at gas stations, some let you redeem points for travel at a fraction of the cost of normal airfare, etc.

The best card to anyone is subjective based on each individual’s perspective and spending habits. If you don’t travel at all, obviously a travel card is not going to help you much. But if you shop for a family of 12 once a week, a credit card that gives you 4x points back on groceries is going to be at the top of your list.

Zen_Arcade

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I'd say it's good for most people who have the card for the card to report, so I'd say this is a positive.

I've been relatively pleased with Apple Card - the 3% cash back is good, and as I pay off whatever the card's balance is every month I'm not concerned with the interest rate.

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD
The benefits aren't the best but the card is fantastic looking. I wish all credit cards would remove the numbers from the front for security reasons plus it just looks so clean. I do wish the card support chip and pin for extra security.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The benefits aren't the best but the card is fantastic looking. I wish all credit cards would remove the numbers from the front for security reasons plus it just looks so clean. I do wish the card support chip and pin for extra security.
It’s possible that’s part of the reason that the card isn’t in, for example, the U.K. yet - aside from testing in one place first, for historical reasons (rather than technical benefits), the US handles parts of the physical transaction differently than most of the rest of the world - there’s never been chip and pin here, and handing over the physical card is still a thing in some situations (like restaurants). For other countries, aside from navigating each other country’s laws surrounding credit and negotiating with foreign banks, they also have to handle - or consciously choose not to handle - all the other local country-specific ways that cards are used, to Apple’s satisfaction (that is, it doesn’t have just have to work, it has to work in ways that Apple likes - they’re picky about a lot of things - e.g., we never got Apple BluRay drives because, per Steve Jobs, they’re “a bag of hurt”).

Reactions: kyleh22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.