Apple Care 1 year upgrade question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GetSwole37, Sep 15, 2017.

1. GetSwole37 macrumors member

If you upgrade every year but you get Apple Care. Since you aren't using it Year 2, do you get credit? I remember the associate telling me yes, but now I think it was BS. Seems kind of another rip off by Apple to offer 2 year when you only will use 1.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You can cancel Apple Care and get credit for the time remaining.

3. Chele macrumors regular

Chele

Aren't you only paying for one year of Apple Care if you trade in after a year? You're only paying for 12 of the 24 payments so really you've only paid for half of Apple Care in the first place. Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

If you upgrade yearly and get AppleCare, your best bet is to just do the iPhone Upgrade Program.

When you cancel AppleCare on a non-IUP device, you have to pay a "cancellation fee". I believe its 10%. On the other-hand, with the IUP. When trading in the device, you get 50% back of AppleCare and don't have lose the 10%. Yes that only amounts to 13-15$ per year. But if you are already doing it, why not save the money?

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I upgraded early on my IUP plan (started May 2016, was tempted by the 8+, ordered it yesterday). I was told my old IUP was "frozen" and my new IUP starts when the iPhone arrives. When I send back the old phone, as long as I do it within 15 days, the old plan is cancelled.

Already got an email from Citizens saying loan approved for new phone.

I ASSUMED since I didn't pay for Apple Upgrade in a lump sum to start, that it was part of the monthly payment so I don't expect to get anything back when my old IUP plan is cancelled when I return my 6s+.

But I'm hardly knowledgeable about this as this is my first upgrade on the IUP plan.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Correct, you have only paid for half of AC+. The other-half is forgiven with the phone balanced once its returned.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    I'm confused about this payment freezing thing. Because online it says that the payments will freeze once the new phone ships, not once the new one is ordered. I just checked my CC and Citizen just took out the 13th payment for my device. I know you will get a credit back on your device within 30 days of upgrading. But the whole 13th payment thing is just annoying. It should have frozen as soon as I was approved for the new one.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed, I didn't take a screenshot of the info screen from the Apple update page but it made it sound like on Apple's website that the freeze was instant. I just paid my IUP fees a few days ago so ... it was before the "freeze." First time I've heard of it too.

:/

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I guess I will find out Friday when I go in. I remember this being a huge problem last year because of the lack of availability and I remember reading different accounts go what had happened. Some people said that if you upgrading within 30 days of a payment, you got a full refund. Others says it was pro-rated. Being a week out. I should have just cancelled the payment (because there is a 10 day grace period) and see what happens. Apple just needs to stick to one date for iPhone launches. Problem solved.