Apple Care & Accidental Damage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shadez, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Shadez macrumors newbie

HI All

After long wait from november to the now finally updated macbook pros (and the amusing waiting for arrandale thread which i will miss lol) I need a little advice. This is my first Mac

Getting laptop from third party retailer and was wondering if their warrenty deal was actually better than apple care as they offer accidental damage cover say if i stupidly dropped it or poured water on it. Read apple care terms and conditions and states accidental dammage not covered is this only in extreme cases or would someone who is accident prone be **** out of luck?

Appreciate any help

Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yep. AppleCare and accidental damage don't go together. Get the third party warranty if you want accidental damage covered.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AppleCare doesn't cover future proofing as well.
    Just sayin'.

5. Shadez thread starter macrumors newbie

Dam

But thanks for the heads up guys. Jus speculating that sometimes its still possible to get away with a repair even if you yourself caused it if its not obvious

Well all heard about apple excellant customer service and although thrid party offers accidential damage repair I have heard their service can be very lackluster and frustrating at times

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

SquareTrade offers that option on some laptops, though interestingly not all.

For the 13" MBP you can get Drop/Spill coverage with their 3-year warranty for $299. For the 15" $1799 and $1999 models you can get it for $399. If you get the $2199 model or the 17", however, Drop/Spill coverage is not available. Go figure.

Coupon code THIRTY30 works right now for 30% off of that, btw. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a new iPod touch, and I'd get the SquareTrade accidental damage coverage on that probably, but it's a lot less.

jW

7. Shadez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks would jump on this but guess should have mentioned am in UK so guess this option won't be possible:(

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Apple caught onto this some time ago - their lappies come with spill sensors inside (see ifixit.com for pics).

9. Shadez thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guess I will just rap my the new soon to be mine laptop in plastic like they do for sofa's lol :rolleyes:

this is goin make be so parinod about eating and drinkin in close proximity of this machine:D

10. vegas-steven macrumors regular

Yep yep.
    You can tell bestbuy at time of purchase you will be throwing it down stairs in a year and 11 months and they don't care.