Apple Care after 1 Year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anthny680, Nov 27, 2007.

1. anthny680 macrumors member

I just realized my 1 year factory warranty is up on my 15" Macbook Pro (purchased 11-21-06). Has anyone had any success in persuading Apple to allow the purchase of Apple Care after the one year factory warranty period? It's only been 6 days, I'm hoping they'll work with me.

Thanks

2. Billy Bob macrumors regular

From what I have heard even if you're a day late you're completely out of luck. Why do you want apple care for it so bad anyway?

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Go into a store and tell them you bought it 11-27

Wouldn't hurt to try. If you didn't buy it at an Apple store I don't see how they can verify when it was purchased.

4. anthny680 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot. I probably will need to go into the store so they can verify it's in good working condition. I actually purchased it at CompUSA so maybe that will help.

Seems like a big investment not to have any protection. But then again I haven't heard of too many complaints with my particular model except for the grainy screen. My girlfriend is a student so at least I'd get a discount.

Thank Again.

5. ucirsx macrumors newbie

we scan the serial number of all serialized products we sell, so good chance your date of purchase is recorded in the apple system.

yea thats true, one day late and your screwed. actually apple care is very beneficial since it gives you ease of mind by knowing that if your mac breaks down due to natural causes, not physical abuse, you are covered.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Question: What credit card did you pay with? I know on top of me having AppleCare, I have my credit card companies warranty which is an extra 2 years from the purchase date (AMEX). Look into that.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This is called fraud, and MR doesn't condone that.

OP, I think you're out of luck in terms of Applecare, but like another poster suggested, find out if the credit card you bought it with offers a free warranty extension. Mine did, and I didn't have to register or anything. :cool:

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

God damn, you're serious?

I guess the technical definition matches what I suggested; so I retract the aforementioned statement. However, its not like you're tricking them into fixing your broken computer. You're tricking them into allowing you to give them more money. Yeah, thats ****ed up.

Heres a better idea. Your local insurance company or a company called Safeware offer insurance on your laptop. It will run around $100 a year and may have a small deductible. Thats actually CHEAPER then Applecare and not only does it give you cash if your computer fails of its own doing, it also gives you cash if it gets stolen or spilled on.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes...:p;)

Yeah insurance might work too, but in all honestly, the best idea is to first checkout the free coverage offered by CC companies. If that doesn't work, I advise simply keeping your money in a bank account. Mr. Actuary says that it's the most sensible solution;):)

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Agreed...

You Bet... Even Mr. Berkshire Hathaway (read that Warren Buffet) says buying Extended Warranty/Extra Insurance Policies is a waste on "well built" items... that of course helps if you DO look after it well. Like Automotive Package Policies, only useful if you are a BAD Driver... then they PUNISH you later!! Obviously if you Spill Water On it or Beat it Up otherwise AppleCare will NOT help, so... I say look elsewhere for the Ultimate Solution!! :D