Apple Care/American Express Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Namtaro, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Namtaro, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

Namtaro macrumors regular

I bought my Macbook last March so the one year window to buy Apple Care is closing. I know there are tons of threads on it, but I want people's opinion based on mine. I'm very careful with my devices - I've never broken anything nor do I have butterfingers. All my previous laptops still work, they are just passed onto my mom or left there for testing stuff since selling them for 50-100 bucks just feels like a waste.

As I understand it, Applecare doesn't cover accidents right? No spills or drop damage covered. I'm wondering if there's any discount for accidental repairs if I have Applecare vs. not having it?
    Then there's always the factor of something 'magically' happening that's outside of my control... like a logicboard failing. That's covered under Applecare right? Anyone know a rough estimate of a logic board replacement from Apple if there was no Applecare?
    Are batteries covered under Applecare? Most of my laptop's batteries are pretty poor after 3 years usage - only holds around 30min-1hour. I see the 2011 Macbook battery is only 110 at ifixit so it's not too much of a cost. Would be nice to recoup the Applecare cost if nothing was ever damaged 3 years down the road by replacing the battery.
    I bought my Macbook Pro in America... but I live in Canada. If I do decide to buy Applecare, I'll be getting it off B&H (Seems like it's the lowest price). Any problems doing that?

I would also like to ask if anyone here has any knowledge on American Express's warranty? My father bought the Macbook Pro when he was in America so it was his card (American Express) paying for it. I'll ask him about it the next time I see him, but is that extended warranty on all American Express cards? I believe his is a Costco connected American Express card...

Thanks & regards,
    Nam

2. KPOM macrumors G5

A logic board replacement generally runs $755 from Apple. AppleCare doesn't cover accidents. I'm not sure why they don't offer AppleCare+ (which does cover up to 2 incidents) for Macs the way they do for phones, but they don't. Your best bet for accidental damage coverage is with a personal articles policy from an insurance company. I have one from State Farm and it is $60/year and covers everything from theft, loss, to accidental damage.

Batteries are not covered by AppleCare unless they are defective. Losing a charge with use is considered normal wear and tear.

As for Amex, policies differ depending on whether the card was actually issued by American Express, or by a bank who issues a card under license. However, many credit cards double warranty protection. The way it works is that you pay for a repair and then file a claim with the credit card company.