Apple Care and Cracked Macbook Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brsboarder, Jun 9, 2007.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, I have a macbook thats working perfectly fine, however ever since I've got it, the back left corner of the casing (by the screen) was lifted up. Now it seems as if there is a small crack. Everything is fine, and the crack is very small, however I don't want it to get much worse. What has there policy been with these types of problems?

2. huy macrumors member

Apple won't replace or fix it. I know first hand.

I have a crack that has developed over time and have tried to get it fixed (just a case replacement) 2-3 times. Each time, Apple (if you read the terms and conditions of AppleCare/warranty) states that it does not cover cosmetic issues like scratches or cracks.

I didn't cause mine, but it's still not covered. Just live with it :-(
    (mine is getting bigger too, it can't get any bigger since it spans the entire width of my case).

Sorry, but that's where Apple stands on the issue unless it's a really big issue e.g. discolouration. As long as the machine works, that's what they care about. :(

3. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Well if it's the topcase that's cracked and not the outer glossy white shell then yes Apple might very well replace it. I know of a few folks who experienced the ever-growing problem of a cracked topcase (near the front edge) and they were able to get their topcases replaced. Unfortunately, it seems that Apple's replacement policy for this sort of thing is patchy at best. I'd call Apple and explain the problem. It really seems to depend on who you talk to.