Apple care and damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thespazz, Oct 28, 2012.

1. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

So I had my rMBP in my backpack and took a little stumble and it turns out the edge got a little damaged. Nothing else happened in regards to the hardware. I have already purchased apple care and was wondering if it has now become void. Any input on this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't cover damages or normal wear. If you have an issue in the future, Apple could refuse coverage if they determine that the accident caused or contributed to the issue. If they determine that your issue is unrelated to the damage, it would still be covered, if it's an issue that would normally be covered.

3. thespazz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I understand that the damage isn't covered. Just worried that I'll lose my warranty because of a purely cosmetic thing. Oh well :/ I'll see I guess.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, damage doesn't void your warranty in general.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They'll use common sense.

If it has a massive dent above the hard drive, and the hard drive starts clicking, then it's most likely going to have been caused by the drop, so that probably wouldn't be covered.

If, however, you have a dent on one side, and the battery stops holding a charge - that's very unlikely to be caused by the damage, so would probably be covered.

6. trikky macrumors regular

I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt if you're near an Apple Store, to see if the guys there can check it out just so they can record the fact there's no system damage. The way I see it, if you can ask them (nicely, of course) to do this, if there are any issues in future you'll have addressed that issue in advance.

7. thespazz thread starter macrumors 6502a