Apple Care and Disk Replacement.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idsoftware, Dec 16, 2008.

1. idsoftware macrumors member

idsoftware

Hi Folks,

I have a macbookpro 17 inch. Now the notebooks works pretty good. Buts Its time to upgrade the internal hard drive. Its a 160 GB

Now I have purchased the 320 Scorpio WD. I know it will fit this model of notebook. but the big question is here.

I bought the laptop at MC MALL. It has the default warranty. NO APPLE CARE ok?. So If I upgrade the laptop it will woid any warranty I have.

Now I would like to do the upgrade, without loosing the advantage of having apple care, I still have one month left to purchase the apple care and still have like 2 or 3 years of warranty.

What can I do. to replace the hdd, withou voiding the apple care warranty If I decided to purchase later ?

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and answering my question.

An International user. (out of USA)\

Idsoftware.

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

ram and hard drives are user serviceable parts which means replacing them won't void your warranty.. unless you break the computer trying to do it

3. amoda macrumors 6502a

The hard-drive is NOT user replaceable on the 17" MBP.

It is only user replaceable on the the Macbooks and the new unibody MBPs, which the 17" is not.

You have two options:

1. Pay an Apple certified person to do it for you and just pay the $$.

2. Do it yourself, and make sure not to damage the laptop. If it breaks down you'd have to take it apart, put the old one back in, close it up and send it in. Then when it comes back put the new one back in. You must make sure not to show any signs of opening the laptop. If caught it voids the warranty automatically.

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Apple has no way of knowing if you changed the HD yourself or had it done at third party reseller. As long as you do not damage anything you should not loose your warranty :)

5. amoda macrumors 6502a

Yes they can. Once they open it up and see that the harddrive is different they check the logs. If it was Apple Certified the person who did the job will make a note of it.

If they're not Apple Certafied, then no notice stating the harddrive was upgraded.

The thing is that they might let you go, or might not. If the casing all of a sudden turns purple they'll probably replace it because odds are, you changing the harddrive didn't cause the discoloration.

But if the computer doesn't turn on anymore, and there is a real chance it might have been caused by a hard drive upgrade then poof goes the warranty.