Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I have a 15 Pro Max that got some front screen scratches from sand, including on the Dynamic Island. They are deep enough to feel with my fingernails, but are only really visible when black or very dark colors are displayed. The scratch on the Dynamic Island is not in front of the front facing camera and doesn’t appear to impact Face ID.

I have AC+ with theft and loss. Screen replacement is listed as $29, but I’ve read that can’t be used for scratches, only cracks. I contacted Apple support on chat and they quoted me an estimated price of $30.92 to fix a scratched screen, with the caveat that the technician would determine the final price.

Has anyone had any experience getting a screen with scratches replaced?

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
There is only one way that scratches can be repaired really, and that’s sanding it down, but it isn’t effective against deep scratches. I doubt Apple have the machine needed to do it so I’m not sure how they would repair it, just replace.

That being said, if they are deep enough I can’t imagine them arguing too hard against a replacement, specially if they somehow got deeper and affected the screen more.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
AC+ terms exclude "repair cosmetic damage not affecting the functionality of the Covered Equipment."

Deep enough scratches or scratches in the wrong place might "affect the functionality" but a store would likely need to see it to make that determination.

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

wingennis

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Northern Arizona
I have a 15 Pro Max that got some front screen scratches from sand, including on the Dynamic Island. They are deep enough to feel with my fingernails, but are only really visible when black or very dark colors are displayed. The scratch on the Dynamic Island is not in front of the front facing camera and doesn’t appear to impact Face ID.

I have AC+ with theft and loss. Screen replacement is listed as $29, but I’ve read that can’t be used for scratches, only cracks. I contacted Apple support on chat and they quoted me an estimated price of $30.92 to fix a scratched screen, with the caveat that the technician would determine the final price.

Has anyone had any experience getting a screen with scratches replaced?
My 15 {rp screen got some road rash after I took a fall. Not only can I feel it but there is a gouge near the top that affects what I can see. Apple refused to repair it because it is just "cosmetic". I was not even allowed the option to replace it at my own expense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.