Apple Care Auto Enroll (Ebay!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oscis, Sep 24, 2008.

1. oscis macrumors newbie

Hello

I bought applecare from ebay after reading some positive experiences with ebay. It was delivered today and, on opening the box, I *only* have a booklet inside a cardboard 'tray' in the box - nothing else. The box was plastic sealed so nothings been tampered with.

The printed lable on the box says "Auto Enroll only" and I can find no applecare agreement number anywhere! I've emailed the seller and had no reply.

Have I been scammed??

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I think they didn't understand when they bought their machine. It was auto-enrolled, then they sent the box along with it for Proof of Purchase.

You could try calling Apple Care and telling them you bought it in a store and this is what you got.

TEG

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I doubt that will work. They will want some proof.

Hopefully it was a mistake by the seller and he will give the money back.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "auto enroll" means exactly that - you buy AppleCare in the store at the same time as a computer and it is automatically applied to it at the point of sale. There's nothing in the box because the person who bought this already has AppleCare active on the machine they bought at the same time.

5. oscis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies! :D

TEG - I think you nailed it, people would sell their Grandmothers on ebay if there was a chance they could earn a tenner. Their stupidity never ceases to astound!

I'll raise a paypal complaint and try and get my money back. At least it was only for an ipod and not my Mac Pro which I need to get covered before too long.

My advise to any future readers of this thread to always ask the seller if it's auto enroll, and whether it has an unregistered Apple Care agreement number in the box.

6. Col127 macrumors 6502

oh man... hope it works out for you. i wonder if the seller knew that? probably...

7. BennyK macrumors 6502

Let us know what happens, I am curious

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I hate to dig up an old thread, but something very similar happened to me. How did your situation eventually resolve OP?

9. ankh macrumors member

These "Auto Enroll Only" AppleCare boxes are for sale at Amazon.

Are they scams, or legitimate?

10. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia