Apple Care & Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamindaines, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have a MacBook Pro that is 2 years old, but still is covered under AppleCare. My batter is suddenly crapping out on me (seems to have dropped from around 85% capacity down to 23%, has 366 cycles on it). My question is; does AppleCare cover this battery, can I get it replaced under warranty? Something tells me that the Battery isn't covered past one year...

--Thanks.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Apple's warranty (3-year AppleCare or not) covers batteries that have failed due to manufacturing defects only. Batteries are considered consumable items, unfortunately.

Your battery has a lot of cycles on it. I kind of doubt Apple would offer a replacement for it under warranty, but it can't hurt to try. More info here.

You can also try calibrating the battery and see if it helps any.

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Thanks, I'll see what I can do about getting it replaced (maybe I'll get a semi-drunk genius?). Where is the best place to buy from? I'd love to spend less than 100.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Apple says on their battery page that 300 cycles is the expected number of cycles before the battery dips below 80% capacity, so I think you're technically not in the 'free battery' range.

However, many geniuses have been known to be friendly and simply give you a new battery, especially if you have Applecare on the machine. It's worth giving it a shot, but don't count on it.

As for where to get one, I think the EDU store has the best prices on replacement batteries (still not that awesome or anything), but Amazon would probably be a good bet otherwise. I don't think many vendors carry batteries.