Apple Care BS I dealt with today...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Herblenny, May 28, 2008.

1. Herblenny macrumors newbie

I thought I share something and hope it will help others..

Ive been a loyal Apple laptop user since early 90s.
    But for the past 2 years, I've had nothing but trouble with Apple laptops.

I bought the macbook when it first came out and immediately I had issues it it (I use my laptop at work and home). First it was the yellowing of the keyboard surround, which took forever for them to fix (I think I was first few). Then the random shutdown, which I spend 2 hours and re installing the OS twice as the tech support asked me to do.. Finally after 2nd round of random shut down, they let me upgrade to the Macbook Pro 17in (which I paid 2x the cost of macbook).

Since then I also had round of issues with Macbook Pro including HD failure and now another random shut down caused by bad battery.

When I upgraded to macbook pro, I knew I was going to have issues.. So, for the first time in over a decade, I've purchased the AppleCare! When I bought this, I specifically asked about the battery, which the representative at Apple stated that they will cover ANY damage for the battery. They even said its worth it as battery will go bad eventually. So, I bought the Apple care.

Past week, I've witness random shut down of my Macbook when ever I was using the battery. At first, i thought somehow I drain the battery.. But that wasn't the case. I'll plug the power source and restarted, it showed I had 30-40% power left. I then experienced it again and noticed the battery indicator did not work after shut down. But plugged in, it will light up and showed 2 out of 5. Mind you, no notice and the computer will just shut down!
    Luckily, I was just surfing the net so no harm done, but if this would of happend when I was doing work for my job, I would of BEEN PISSED!!!

So, I searched the net and found that this issue is common. and the problem was the battery. So, I called Apple Care so I could replace my bad battery. After they wanted to check few things.. Like which version Battery Updater, how much Battery Cycle, and Full Charge Capacity.

Well, after I told them what Battery cycle, they denied replacing my battery!

I was furious as I paid $280+ for the Apple Care and this was one thing I specifically asked! Not only that, because of the damn battery, now I have to worry about random shut down. If I got a notice or the computer going into sleep.. but RANDOM shut down?? Thats not acceptable!!!

I stated my reasoning and asked to speak to the management.. Some lady got on (Leslie from Ontario) and she immediately states to me that they do not replace battery over 300 cycles!! Nor after 1 year of use. I tried to explain to her that its unacceptable when I don't get a warning and computer shutting down (unlike my 6+ year old powerbook G3, which I still own). She still refused to replace it.

I was furious!! So, I asked how much Apple spend on their ads? She tells me that that info is confidential. I told her, "Well, I own 4 websites and forums and I'll make sure I'll state all the negative experience I had with past 2 computers and your scam like Apple Care BS! If you guys think I have no reason to complain then you don't need to worry about me." Soon as I stated that, She said she will contact Customer relations and put me on hold. 10 mins later, she gets on and states to me that they are going to make a "special" case and replace my Macbook Pro battery.

total time I spend 48 mins on the phone...

Bottom line is, I see this issue not because the battery is OLD, but faulty design. If battery is holding less power, it shouldn't randomly shut down. it should at least warn me... And me buying almost $300 warranty, I should be treated better! I mean, I would of been a satisfied customer if they wouldn't make me go thru ALL THIS BS and wasting my time when I had valid reason.
    And them only solving my issue because I threaten them seems unfair to others with this issue.

Anyhow, I just needed to vent and hopefully my situation might lead to others on here to solve their issues with AppleCare..

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why don't you let them decide if its the battery? Instead of asking for a new one, ask them to take a look at your machine because it shuts down randomly.

3. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

for the love of all that is holy:

it is would HAVE or would've, WOULD OF makes NO SENSE.

Do not type what you hear in your head. Hooked on Phonics lies.

4. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Relax, there are many other things you should have done before demanding a new battery, like first try calibrating it, or taking it in to the Apple Store to have a genius look at it, or send it in. Just because you think that it is the battery does not mean it is. Apple has great tech support, but they are not miracle workers, and you need to cooperate with them in order to get what you want. Complaining on an Apple forum really doesn't get you very far.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But it does give the rest of us a chance to use the horse smiley.

[​IMG]

---

Don't know where the "I got Apple to replace my old battery replaced" thread went.

Of the "Help, I think my battery is dead, and I can't get Apple to replace it --- SOLVED" went either.

6. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

In my history of talking with tech support and as being a tech support person for an ISP; they hate to be told what the issue is. I know you are trying to help and it was frustrating when things don't work. When I get a call from someone trying to tell me the resolution I immediately say to myself what an a$s. I am glad though you got a resolution to your issue and I hope it fixes it.

Applecare should have handle this better as well. You could have also went back to the person that told you they would cover battery.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The OP doesn't know if its the battery, so I wouldn't be surprised if the issue persists..

Edit: In fact, APP doesn't seem to cover batteries...See Consumable parts under Limitations - http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

1. A battery is an expendable item. Neither Apple nor any other computer company warrants their batteries with any extended warranty. READ YOUR APPLE CARE WARRANTY mate!

2. Random shut downs could mean many other thins, bad RAM, or logic board issues.

3. I would suggest you take your macBook Pro into Apple and have it looked at. Afterall, you did pay for Apple Care.

9. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

How many cycles does your battery have?

How old is the battery?

Apple claims 80% capacity after 300 charge cycles "on a properly maintained laptop", which i believe includes calibrating the battery on occasion.

last ibook battery lasted about 1.5-1.75 years...the replacement is on a similar trajectory. i searched a lot about this, and found my experiences to be consistent with others, and expected given the projected life of the battery under 'normal' usage. (i am a heavy user).

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. Battery, like your car tires, are only covered only for a certain amount of usage.

You should send it it to have it checked out.

Have you reset the SMC, power controller, and pram? If yes, then it might be logic board.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually the Best Buy Service Plan does include the replacement of one battery.

12. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Random shutdowns were a known issue with the first gen MacBooks due to a heatsink design flaw. They should have requested you send it in for repair. If you do some searches for random shutdown and look for posts around August/September 2006, you'll find plenty of threads about it. My own MacBook had the issue and was repaired by Apple (covered under warranty).

Batteries are not covered under extended warranties (at least none that I know of). They often are only covered for 3 months, if that. I'm not sure on Apple's warranty policy, but it's your own fault for not actually reading the policy before getting so upset.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

lesson learned: anything that is guaranteed to fail will not be covered by a warranty.

They sell warranties to make money, not to help people.

If you have a first gen macbook then there was a very widespread problem with random shutdowns, it was caused by the logic board and had nothing to do with the battery. That is covered under the warranty since apple couldnt predict it would fail and exclude it from things theyll fix.