Apple Care Can't Be Extended?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ChocolateApple, May 1, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I just called Apple about an iPod issue. When he told me that my iPod's Apple Care expired, I gave him my Mac Pro SN, and he helped with the iPod issue as a courtesy. So while on the topic, I thought to request an extension of coverage for my Mac Pro system (about $5k worth of hardware). He told me that Apple Care cannot be extended.

"So you just have to buy new stuff, huh?" I asked. He quietly replied, "Yes."

I cannot imagine having to buy $5k plus new hardware just to keep my equipment covered. Wow. Did I misunderstand him? Does anyone need some editing work done for $5,000? LOL!! :rolleyes:

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You can only extend to 3 years from purchase. After that you're SOL.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3 years is the maximum coverage Apple gives you, after that, you're on your own.

I know it might sound stupid when you have $5k MP but after 3 years, it's not so unlikely that something will fail.

If you're scared, sell it (take HDs etc which can be used in new one off) and buy a new one with AppleCare, that's another 3 years of peace of mind

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

AppleCare is an extended warranty, that covers computer products for 2 years after the one year limited warranty expires. It's a one-off purchase and cannot be extended. On iPod/iPhone/iPad products it covers items for 1 year after the one year limited warranty expires.

That is the same or similar to any other consumer extended warranty for this kind of product.

6. ChocolateApple thread starter macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I always buy extended warranties with electronics so that I'm not stuck with the full cost of repair, and to get a higher re-sell value.

Yes, I'm now looking into selling it before the Apple Care expires. This is good to know.

Yes, but I have a lot of electronics, and I'm just accustomed to the ability to extend them further. With other electronics I own (cameras, TVs, etc.), the understanding I have is that as long as you pay the fee, you can extend the warranty. But I understand that you're saying that Apple Care IS the only warranty extension. There isn't any further extension option.

I should have read the small print because I would have planned accordingly. Oh well. Thanks for the info. :)

7. goodcow macrumors 6502a

AppleCare is available in four and five year increments in the non-end user education sector. It's $299 for four-year APP on a MacPro, never priced out five-year.

Why they don't offer these same options to end users is beyond me.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This isn't out of the ordinary, really. Education, medium business and enterprise customers are a different market segment. They buy dozens of machines at once and usually expect a longer use cycle before replacement than normal end users do. Often, these customers will also have service contracts for on-site repairs and upgrades. Large PC manufacturers do the same thing.

End user market mentality is to sell a consumer new hardware every 3 years. :p

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, but in this case, AppleCare is the extended warranty. Most extended warranties (for electronics) don't let you keep extending them.