Apple care comes with student discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stark4, Sep 11, 2011.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

I just want to know whether 3 yrs apple care comes with student discount or not. Planing to buy macbook air 13" base model.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In the US, you can buy AppleCare at a student discount price, but it's not included in the purchase of a Mac. There is an educational discount in the UK that includes extended coverage. So it depends on where you are.

3. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm in US but i saw someone's post about apple care came with edu discount so i was confused. ahh ok ..

4. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

If I buy AppleCare from my Campus Computer Store, it is most definitely cheaper than getting it from an Apple retail store.

My campus store will give better deals on many ancillary things, cheaper than the online education store even. Not everything, not computers certainly, but software and accessories sure.

Don't forget you can wait 11 months from purchasing your device before you have to buy the Applecare. Helps for budgeting, but if you forget to claim it before the 1 year is up you are S.O.L. No exceptions. This also helps you realize that the Applecare is really only a 2 year extension on servicing.
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

6. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

2 yrs extension?

This also helps you realize that the Applecare is really only a 2 year extension on servicing.

That's not entirely true. You actually have 2 yrs and 9 months extension of free phone support.

7. StrudelTurnover, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

Which is precisely why I was specific to say "on servicing". But thanks for clearing up the point I didn't mention, since it is illustrated on the link I included. Having never in 20 years of owning computers phoned a manufacturer for technical support, I suppose I don't put much weight in it. I'm sure it has value to many people.

8. bobsax macrumors member

bobsax

AppleCare used to be a great deal. It was like $60 10 years ago. As far as service goes I've had a bunch of Macs and never needed service within the 3years.
    It's the phone service that is invaluable but with the Genius bars you can live without it.

9. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I just realized that I bought my iMac today with the student discount and they asked me for no information...... :D

Not my student id or email. The whole student discount is a joke as basically anyone can get one and they never ask you for information at the store.