Apple Care Coverage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idvnno, May 17, 2014.

1. idvnno macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm new on the forum. I just noticed that the left rear part of the lid on my 2013 rMBP has been dented. No idea how this happened, I've only ever dropped it once but luckily it landed flat on the back with a case on at the time. Does applecare cover these types of things? And if not, is there anyway I could fix this myself? I realize its not that bad but its really been bothering me. Photos included

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does not cover damage from accidents, only manufacturing defects. I can barely see it in the pics. Since it doesn't affect usability and it's extremely minor, I would say it's not worth worrying about, but I realize some will still obsess over such minor details.

3. idvnno thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyways I could repair this on my own then?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.

5. idvnno thread starter macrumors newbie

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Learn to ignore such trivia, there is a way worse dent in the table-top.

7. shnn2011 macrumors member

shnn2011

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I wouldn't worry about it. My 2009 MBP had it bent the other way, and it's been fine. When it's bent in, it's a design issue that happens when you carry it in a backpack the same way every day for years. The only thing it's done is worn the aluminum on the top case just a little bit. That won't happen with yours.

9. idvnno thread starter macrumors newbie

I carry it in a backpack to school often, could be because of that? I also noticed that when I close it the sides aren't perfectly alined anymore, it's literally less than a millimetre though so I'm not too bothered.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's possible, but I haven't heard of the "ears" (as the Geniuses call them) getting bent out. Bent in ears like on my MBP are a known design flaw with the unibody models. The Geniuses aren't concerned about them usually. They just make note of them when you bring your Mac in for other things.

Of course the retina models have only been around for almost two years. Normal wear and tear from years of use is going to start appearing soon, and Apple with probably note the tear that causes issues versus cosmetic things.

11. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Your home contents insurance might cover it but since it's cosmetic they'll probably decline it. Just wait, maybe next time you have an "accident" it'll fall down the stairs & need replacing :rolleyes:

12. shnn2011 macrumors member

shnn2011

Thats funny:D