Apple Care CRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Nov 27, 2011.

1. PS65 macrumors 6502

Does anybody have experience on their custom build MacBook (/Pro) being replaced by the Apple Store?

I understand they have to do this via their online system/Apple Care, but I am being told a 6 to 8 week wait for my replacement MBP just because it had an upgraded HDD?

I appreciate Apple doing this for me, but 6-8 weeks (on top of the 5 weeks it has been in repair for) is frankly ridiculous? Is this time frame there just to protect them, have any of you received custom build replacements faster, and if so, what is the typical process?

Thanks

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Note, there's a massive supply issue for HDDs due to the Thai floods so maybe that's why you're getting a long repair quote

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As the other poster mentioned, the supply of available hard drives is diminishing because the country that manufactured most of the hard drives incurred devastating floods.

Personally, I'd pick up a stock laptop and then upgrade it yourself if you see an available hard drive (or SSD) at a decent price.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

They tend to take their time as before repair thery also rediagnose things.And there are floodings in Asia right now as well hence the extended amount of waiting (see pic).

Attached Files:

5. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

They didn't let me pick up a stock laptop. Apparently they have to go through the process as it is a custom build. Shame, because I am not that fussed about the hard drive upgrade (I would have wanted an SSD - but thought it was cheeky to ask given they were replacing an older machine).

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Generally, Apple will allow you to upgrade components, and you'd just need to pay the difference. It might be worth a call to Apple.

7. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not too concerned with an upgrade (ie. I am not ready for SSD given the size and stability issues I have had with it on previous machines).

I would be keen to understand the CRO process - will they email me when it ships, can I track it any other way?

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

why are they replacing it?

mine took a week, but i only customized the anti glare screen

9. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

You'd hope changing the HDD wasn't any harder? Albeit I am not sure if the supply levels were actually noted when they placed my order.

With regards to what went wrong:

Graphics Card > Graphics Card > Screen > Graphics Card - they damaged my machine at the same time.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

hows that possible lol

11. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why don't you phone them and ask?

Hardly the point of this thread, if it wasn't their problem, why would they replace it.

12. davmcn macrumors regular

This was exactly what happened to me with mine, though I got a new one, and something was wrong with it , had to get a replacement, store couldn't do it... yah did da... anyways. They told me it would take around A week to 8 weeks. It arrived 3 days later via Fed Ex.

13. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have some hope!!