Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I have a 13" MBPr I bought from b&H in November.

I have the mac book and a mac mini I was thinking of getting apple care for, especially the mac book.

Do you think here will be any deals coming up for apple care, or should I just get it just before the one year runs out?

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I have a 13" MBPr I bought from b&H in November.

I have the mac book and a mac mini I was thinking of getting apple care for, especially the mac book.

Do you think here will be any deals coming up for apple care, or should I just get it just before the one year runs out?

a quick price search shows that b&h photo and video sells applecare for $244
based on the # MD012LL

square trade would be $299 before any coupons you can find.. i like square trade because it covers accidental damage. and thats the one big drawback with applecare is you don't get any overage if you break your lcd

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
If you feel that you could use the included phone support that comes with AppleCare, then by all means purchase it now since it will provide you with that service. If you're looking to purchase it solely to extend the warranty on your hardware then I would recommend purchasing it at any time during your Mac's one-year limited warranty period at your convenience.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i felt that coverage for me dropping my macbook pro retina into the swimming pool or shattering the lcd screen by accident is more important then being able to call 1-800-apl-care for help

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
There's little likelihood you'll beat that B&H Photo price, given your situation - that's the same price I paid for my last two rMBPs, and I'm about to buy another AC package from B&H. I always get mine a few weeks before the 1-year period is up. My next new Mac might come from Adorama (see below, which wasn't available when I bought my last two Macs).

The only other "deal" is the "free" AC promoted by Adorama from time to time when buying a new Mac.

I also like what Squaretrade has to offer, but my current insurance covers what Squaretrade does and it's covered in my policy at no additional cost. You're past the 30-day window, so Squaretrade is out for you...

On a related note, we buy Best Buy's protection for our Windows laptops - when they crap out, we've received new, current units in place of 2-year-old PCs and they take the old unit. Nice, that. A little more expensive up front than Squaretrade, but there's a BB here on the island that's a short walk that doesn't eat up my overhead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.