Apple Care: Do I need to register it, and how soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LeahM, Mar 26, 2008.

1. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I'm only asking because I didn't buy the MBP, it was a gift.

I'm just gonna assume I should put the CD in. Is there a time limit that I need to load the CD?

ALSO: Do I need to have internet connection? Currently where I live, there is no internet (service provider is an idiot, I won't name who, if you live in Canada, you can assume) but I can find a connection if I absolutely need to register the apple care right away.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

There are no instructions?

3. LeahM thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Hmm good point. I don't have my box with me. Its at an apartment about 1 hour away. Thats where I would connect to the internet if need be. I have the cd in a case, I have yet to put it in.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you don't register your machine, your warranty will be assumed to expire 365 days from the date of manufacture, rather than your actual date of purchase, so you will lose weeks or even months of warranty.

If you have purchased Applecare extended warranty (3 year total), it must be registered against the serial number of the machine by day 364 or it will be invalid. You won't get the free telephone support after day 90 unless you register the extended Applecare

On the extended Applecare however, there is one reason to delay registering... if you drop, spill on or damage the machine yourself, or if it is stolen, the Applecare is usually voided, and you have wasted the cost. So if you are likely to do something stupid to the machine, don't register the Applecare 'til the last minute (or, until you have a covered hardware problem to claim on). Then if you destroy the machine, you can at least sell the unopened Applecare package. :p

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

The CD is used only in troubleshooting. According to the Applecare documentation, you can register at Apple's website or call 800-275-2273.

6. ranman444 macrumors newbie

How does one register their new computer with Apple. Mine is a month old and I remember when i first bought it and started it i declined to register it with Apple at the time as i was having network problems. How would I register it now.

7. LeahM thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Thats the boat I am in

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

To register, if you've got net access:
    https://register.apple.com/

You will need an Apple ID. There's a link to create an account on that page, if you don't already have one.