Apple care Engineer told me how good Windows is?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R.Youden, Sep 21, 2009.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

OK, I don't go in for the whole 'Apple fan-boy crap', I prefer using a Mac and I enjoy it.

Right got that out of the way before I get accused of anything.

A few weeks ago I was having a spot of bother installing Snow Leopard so I rang Apple Care in the UK and got speaking to a very helpful guy. Once we had fixed the problem I was having he insisted on staying on the phone with me whilst the whole process completed.

Anyway he started to tell me how great Windows was and how he only used Windows XP and Snow Leopard is just like a Windows SP upgrade. He did say that Vista wasn't good but that he couldn't wait to see Windows 7!

Surely this is a guy who should at least be building up the quality of the companies own product rather than praising the arch rival?

Ah well I am bored and I thought I would share that with you.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Well let's see. First off, a customer service rep is NOT an engineer; he's a guy that gets payed minimum wage to use a computer and troubleshoot issues you have over the phone. That is all.

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

And time spent watching progress bars with you is probably easier for him then taking the next caller in line. You charmer, you. ;)

4. AngryApple macrumors 6502

It was probably the end of his shift and he didn't want to risk getting stuck with a big problem that would force him to work overtime.

5. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

I think this is the reason to.

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Could be he came to the job with a strong Windows technical support background and was willing to learn MacOS X or was also familiar with it? Don't know. Perhaps he was just a young fellow who was being honest without much thought info the implications of what he was saying? :D Dunno. But certainly an interesting fellow.

I'm not sure I'd have had compared Snow Leopard to a Windows XP upgrade, but he's certainly right about 7 being much better than Vista. (I've poked at both Vista and 7 on the same MBP, and 7 just about blows away Vista in various areas.) With all that said, 7 being better than Vista is merely of academic interest to me as I primarily utilise MacOS X and other non-Windows OSes in my day-to-day work.