Apple Care Engineering

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SKBeck, Jun 19, 2010.

1. SKBeck macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2010

I'm somewhat new to Mac OSX and the Apple thing in general. I had some issues installing Safari 5 and 10.6.4. I posted these issues on this Apple Discussion Thread:

I received the following email from someone claiming to be with Apple Care Engineering. Is this legit? I'd love to help out in this regard but I'm a little paranoid, and rightfully so, when it comes to giving out this kind of info to strangers. Help me out, would you respond?

Hi Shawn:

Regarding your post "Updates will not install"

I have been asked to look into this issue.

The first part of my diagnosis is to gather some system information from your Mac. Rather than have you complete complex Terminal commands, I will attach a copy of our capture data application. Simply download the disk image and mount it. Double click on capture data, there is no need to check any options. Once Capture Data has completed its processes, you will find a disk image on your desktop that contains the data I need. All you have to do is reply to this email with that disk image attached.

Any questions or concerns, please let me know.

If you need me to walk you through the Capture Data process over the phone. Just give me a number and convenient time to call you.

Kind regards
    AppleCare engineering.

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    It's legit. I had that happen with a question I posted about the AirPort base station. All Apple reps when contacting you via email have signed email addresses. Check the email header for information.
  3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future