Apple Care Fan Replacement Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrisrokc, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

Has anyone here had to have a fan replaced in their macbook pro? I have a 13 inch pro and the fan is clicking bad. Much louder than it use to be.

I have read on a couple of forums the stores send the laptop off to be fixed. I can't really have that since I use it every day for school. Is this still the case? Or can they just fix it on the spot?

2. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

They should be able to do it in-store, though it could take up to a week(counting business days) to get the parts in the first place, if they don't already have extra fans.

I've been quoted
    3-5 days to get the part
    and
    another 3-5 to do the repair(I assume this depends on how many other computers need repair)

You could get lucky though, one time it only took about 2 days for a repair I needed, parts arrived in 1 day, repaired the day after.

I think they probably only send off computers if the genius bar is absolutely swamped with repairs, or if they don't have enough qualified techs to do the repairs.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

swapping out fans is just a matter of removing a few screws and that's it.

4. woowah macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if it's covered by AppleCare and if it's more cost-effective to get AppleCare than pay for the fan replacement.

My 12" G4 still runs fine and my 3 month old MBP already has this fan problem and that hard drive firmware transfer rate issue :mad:

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I am not sure what you are asking.

of course a faulty fan is covered under apple care. any manufacturing defect is covered. but why are you asking if it is worth it to get applecare or replace the fan yourself. if your computer is only 3 months old you have 9 months of applecare left on the machine. you only buy applecare if you want to extend that basic coverage of defects for another 2 years. you do not need to purchase applecare to have a repair done in the first 12 months after original purchase.

so if you have an exceptionally noisy fan take it to an apple store or call applecare.