Apple Care for 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KtothaEvin, Aug 27, 2017.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not to my knowledge.

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

AppleCare for iMac is dirt cheap compared to the other portable AppleCare pricing. Plus it covers all internals and keyboard/mouse so its a no brainer.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The standard AppleCare coverage for iMac (not the new AppleCare+) can still be registered on 2017 iMacs. The shrink-wrapped package I bought references Snow Leopard and is about 9 years old.

You can no longer register these plans online but I called AppleCare and they set me up in about 5 minutes and my coverage is now active.

4. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

is it MA520LL/A?

5. SaSaSushi, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It is exactly that model, only the Japan market version so the last letters are J/A. (MA520J/A)

[​IMG]

MA520LL/A is still perfectly usable for the 2017 iMac. It extends the warranty and telephone support to three years from date of purchase but has no accidental coverage.

6. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I purchased the "old" AppleCare from LA Computer for $135. Received it Saturday and called Apple to register it yesterday. It took about 15 minutes on the phone. The Apple rep was helpful but sounded like it wasn't a call they get very often and took a little time and fumbling to get everything set up. Needed to read the long and confusing serial numbers for both my 2017 iMac and for the AppleCare product. Took a couple tries on the second serial number but she finally was able to verify it as valid. They also needed to verify the order, ship and pickup dates for my iMac. But ultimately the registration was successful and I'm covered until August 2020.

Purchasing the new AppleCare Plus with online registration is no doubt faster and easier, but I didn't feel like the very limited accidental damage coverage was worth the extra $$.

7. nilk macrumors 6502a

I bought AppleCare+ for my 2017 27" iMac. Reasons:

* I'm not planning to ever repair this machine myself. The iMac replaces an aging classic Mac Pro. With the Mac Pro I could fix just about anything myself with similar ease as fixing something in a typical desktop PC (I even replaced it's logic board when it went bad). That is simply not the case with the iMac.

* There is the possibility that I may sell it within 3 years (waiting for modular Mac Pro), and I think AppleCare would help resale. I know personally when I'm looking to buy used Apple gear, I prefer to get something still covered under AppleCare, even if it only has a few months remaining, so if there is anything wrong with it I can get it fixed easily for free (I live close enough to an Apple store). I also like buying Apple refurbs because you can get AppleCare for them.

* $169 is a low enough price for 3-year warranty for a machine that costs over $2000

* The reason I bought an iMac instead of building a hackintosh is because I want to reduce the number of hassles that I have to directly deal with. I know I'm paying quite a bit of "Apple Tax", but I'm paying it to minimize the effort of having a working macOS desktop machine.

I'd venture to guess in a batch of 100 machines, AppleCare+ may not be worth it, but for an individual who doesn't buy machines frequently, I'd rather be on the safe side.

I wouldn't seek out accidental damage protection on an iMac, but I have a small child who occasionally throws things he's not supposed to, so it's a bonus in my case.

8. bbnck macrumors 6502

I think the iMac still represents good value because 4K and 5K external monitors on their own are still quite expensive. You can find all-in-one computers from companies like Dell that come with 2K displays at similar price points to a comparable 27-inch iMac.

Might not be the case in the future, but right now the iMac is still pretty good value for what you're getting.

9. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

How in the world did you guys get Apple to apply the old applecare to the 2017 iMac without the original receipt for the applecare? I bought one off ebay and just tried to get it registered and when they asked for proof of receipt I couldn't supply it.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Did you buy a serial number or a retail package? I have never heard of Apple asking for proof of purchase for the AppleCare product itself before! I've purchased and registered it for numerous Macs and other Apple products over the past 11 years and not once have I been asked for that. In the package is a card with the serial number on it. That number is all you need.

Apple does need a valid proof of purchase and date for the Mac itself.

11. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

retail package, opened it on the phone. verified both serial numbers and registration number and thought i was home free then they mention how old it is and sending email to provide further documentation, receipt for applecare.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Had they asked, I could just print out the receipt from Amazon. I bought it from a third party seller on Amazon Japan. It was 9 years old but still a new shrink-wrapped box.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Doesn't eBay generate receipts?

13. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

I guess I could try to do that, but I fully expect the 'ebay is not an authorized seller' speech.
    You called Apple Support? No special number?

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I only called Apple Support by telephone and do NOT accept any BS like "eBay is not an authorized seller". You could have bought it used from a friend for all that matters. It is not for them to decide where you purchased it. Being old is not a reason for them to deny registration.

I could see them denying you because the serial number had already been used but you say this is a shrink-wrapped, never before used product so that's not the case.

15. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

Appreciate the advice. I'm going to get it done somehow. There isn't an expiration date and I have pictures of the box sealed, with serial number showing, so I should be good.

16. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I had the same experience as SaSaSushi with the exception that I did it in August of 2017 for a sealed AppleCare purchased from LA Computer. My posting about the details appears in this forum in August.

During the phone call with Apple to register it they did NOT ask for any proof of purchase. But they did go over the serial numbers of both the AppleCare and my iMac very carefully before registering it. Of course their policy might have changed since August. I don't know how many of these sealed unused original AppleCare products are still floating around.

17. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I purchased my 27" iMac in March. Recently had a problem when I tried to upgrade to High Sierra (black screen with a white circle and a line through it). I had to take it into the Apple Store to be fixed. They ended up doing some diagnostic tests and found a possible problem. I got it back the next day. This was covered under the regular warranty. I'll definitely be getting Apple Care incase I need it in the future -

661-03254 Memory, 8GB, 1866, DDR3L, iMac 27” $ 143.33 $ 0.00
    661-03254 Memory, 8GB, 1866, DDR3L, iMac 27” $ 143.33 $ 0.00
    S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor $ 79.00 $ 0.00
    Total (Tax Not Included) $ 365.66 $ 0.00.