Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Hi guys, little question for you ...
I have a 2008 24" iMac, and when I bought it ... I also bought the Apple Care (thank god).

After 4 months my Display died on me and I couldn't boot up anymore, I took it to the Apple Reseller and they changed my Display and my Power Supply.

Then everything was ok for a year ... then my Hard Drive dies on me ... I took it back to again to the Apple Reseller .... they put a new Hard Drive in it ...

Been ok for a couple of months ... then last night ... Hard Drive fails again ...
I contacted Apple Care to bitch that my over 2000$ machine has failed on me 3 times. They say to take it back again to the Apple Reseller ( witch is ok ).

I thought that after 3 times of failing with your apple product with Apple Care ... that they replace the machine because it is considered a lemon.

When I asked this to Apple Care on the phone ... they said that my case isn't worthy of replacement ... and when I asked to know what is worthy .. they said that it is under none disclosure to say what is and what isn't .... wow ...

Anyone know anything about this ?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I thought that after 3 times of failing with your apple product with Apple Care ... that they replace the machine because it is considered a lemon.

Generally you only get a replacement if the same part has failed 3 times. In addition, hard drives are not considered "major" repairs because they fail all the time. If you make your case on the phone you might be able to get a replacement, but I doubt it.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You get a replacement, if the same part fails three times, I don't know if that includes HDDs though, as they are "easily" replaceable by Apple technicians.

So if your display or logic board would fail three times, you're up for a replacement.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks for clearing up this "none disclosure" thing ...
Wow ... how hard would that have been for Apple to tell me this over the phone !!!

And yet again .. this forum has the answers !

Thx guys

Schipperenzot

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Will Applecare be useful if a DVD gets stuck in the drive?

This happens a lot and last year I needed a whole new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.