Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Apple Care only provides another year of warranty basically, right? It doesn't cover accidental damage, but just additional warranty.

Since there are no moving parts (hard drive, DVD) is it worth it?

I find that generally solid state stuff will either break within the 1 year of warranty or it won't at all, so is that additional $100 worth it?

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Apple Care only provides another year of warranty basically, right? It doesn't cover accidental damage, but just additional warranty.

Since there are no moving parts (hard drive, DVD) is it worth it?

I find that generally solid state stuff will either break within the 1 year of warranty or it won't at all, so is that additional $100 worth it?

My iPhone 3G wouldn't complete a dialed phone call one day. Every single other function of the device worked fine (including 3G data) but I couldn't place a call. It happened 10 months into ownership. Had it been 3 months later than that, without AppleCare, it would have cost me a nice chunk of change to have it repaired/replaced I'm sure.

The iPhone 3G has no moving parts either. Yet, the phone section simply failed. No abuse, never dropped, never submerged in water. It just stopped making phone calls.

Mark

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I was told it covers the battery, which is $100 on its own.

I bought mine with an AMEX though, so there's no point. AMEX automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so for an iPad/iPhone/iPod there's no point, since Applecare is only two years.

On laptop or desktop though? 100%.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Not sure if it covers the battery, doubt it but if if it does... I would definitely go for it.

Worth it just for the assurance :)

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I agree that for a desktop or laptop, it's a no-brainer.

The iPhone example is a good one. My 3GS has a problem with the camera and it's 9 months old. However, I've yet to keep an iPhone passed one year because I always want the new one! :D

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I was told it covers the battery, which is $100 on its own.

I bought mine with an AMEX though, so there's no point. AMEX automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so for an iPad/iPhone/iPod there's no point, since Applecare is only two years.

On laptop or desktop though? 100%.

Is this true for all Amex cards? I will call to check on mine, but just curious.

BobRichards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Along with every Apple product I have gotten, I have gotten Apple Care. Better safe then sorry.

mstout

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Spent $700 on mine. With AppleCare anything goes wrong you are covered. Totally worth it!

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Spent $700 on mine. With AppleCare anything goes wrong you are covered. Totally worth it!

But it's not covering "anything". Accidental damage is not covered. It's not like those policies you buy at Best Buy.

I do think it's an ok deal on an iPad now, but it's not an end-all be-all deal like the "plans" sold at most electronics stores.

The AMEX coverage is probably good enough for me however, I don't think folks who buy Apple Care ate wasting their money either.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
The Poster above was correct about Apple Care not covering breakage etc. I checked with my insurer and found that for a one time fee of $25.00 I could have lifetime accidental and loss protection. This with Apple Care seems to cover all bases.

Kibbe17

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
What about SquareTrade??

The fact that AppleCare does not include accidental damage almost defeats the purpose of purchasing it. Although has anyone thought of / tried square trade warranties? They seem legitimate and maybe even better than the AppleCare? And sorry if I'm double posting or anything like that.. Kinda new to these forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.