Apple Care for iPad worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scott-n-Houston, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Apple Care only provides another year of warranty basically, right? It doesn't cover accidental damage, but just additional warranty.

Since there are no moving parts (hard drive, DVD) is it worth it?

I find that generally solid state stuff will either break within the 1 year of warranty or it won't at all, so is that additional $100 worth it?

2. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

My iPhone 3G wouldn't complete a dialed phone call one day. Every single other function of the device worked fine (including 3G data) but I couldn't place a call. It happened 10 months into ownership. Had it been 3 months later than that, without AppleCare, it would have cost me a nice chunk of change to have it repaired/replaced I'm sure.

The iPhone 3G has no moving parts either. Yet, the phone section simply failed. No abuse, never dropped, never submerged in water. It just stopped making phone calls.

Mark

3. britboyj macrumors 6502a

I was told it covers the battery, which is $100 on its own.

I bought mine with an AMEX though, so there's no point. AMEX automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so for an iPad/iPhone/iPod there's no point, since Applecare is only two years.

On laptop or desktop though? 100%.

4. JDee macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it covers the battery, doubt it but if if it does... I would definitely go for it.

Worth it just for the assurance :)

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree that for a desktop or laptop, it's a no-brainer.

The iPhone example is a good one. My 3GS has a problem with the camera and it's 9 months old. However, I've yet to keep an iPhone passed one year because I always want the new one! :D

6. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this true for all Amex cards? I will call to check on mine, but just curious.

7. doofoo macrumors member

Yup! Good deal.. I forgot about this when I purchased my iPad. When I pickup my 3G iPad I'll be putting it on the AMEX for sure.

8. BobRichards macrumors regular

Along with every Apple product I have gotten, I have gotten Apple Care. Better safe then sorry.

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Best buy covers accidental damage as they were trying to sell me that.

10. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yup. Another AMEX fan here.

11. mstout macrumors member

Spent $700 on mine. With AppleCare anything goes wrong you are covered. Totally worth it!

12. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it's not covering "anything". Accidental damage is not covered. It's not like those policies you buy at Best Buy.

I do think it's an ok deal on an iPad now, but it's not an end-all be-all deal like the "plans" sold at most electronics stores.

The AMEX coverage is probably good enough for me however, I don't think folks who buy Apple Care ate wasting their money either.

13. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Squaretrade seems like a better deal for ipad right now no?

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The Poster above was correct about Apple Care not covering breakage etc. I checked with my insurer and found that for a one time fee of $25.00 I could have lifetime accidental and loss protection. This with Apple Care seems to cover all bases.

15. Kibbe17 macrumors member

What about SquareTrade??

The fact that AppleCare does not include accidental damage almost defeats the purpose of purchasing it. Although has anyone thought of / tried square trade warranties? They seem legitimate and maybe even better than the AppleCare? And sorry if I'm double posting or anything like that.. Kinda new to these forums.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

AppleCare is free the first year, right? I was planning on waiting til towards the end of the first year before I would purchase it.