Apple care for Iphone Yes or No?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dfndr90, Jul 24, 2007.

?

Will you buy the Apple Care for iPhone?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2007.
  1. Already have it!

10.0%
  2. Apple Care what?

90.0%
  1. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

Is it worth $69.00 for the Applecare plan for the iPhone?

Matt...

2. defeated macrumors regular

i strongly suggest you wait another 11 month before buying it.

3. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I said yes because I am sure my phone will be having many more hardware issues in the 2nd year.

4. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

If you bought your iPhone with a credit card - be sure to check wether or not your credit card provider doesn't offer some kind of warranty-doubling feature.

This is why I bought my iPhone with my American Express, it doubles the included warranty at no additional charge.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I have never had to buy applecare before, and it never has came back to haunt me. I probably wont for my iphone.

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Since it's a 2 year contract with Cingular . . . yes, I will purchase Apple Care for my iPhone before the year is up :apple:

7. MacUser4_20 macrumors regular

Apple Store Manager told me it would be available by the end of July when I bought my phone June 29th... Finally got the right info when in the store!

8. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Thats cool, My usual response from Apple Store employees is, "I'm not sure, I am not really that smart about computers."

9. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

What do you mean by doubles the warranty. I bought mine with my american express and yes I know it has warrenty, but what do u mean.

10. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Some credit cards will honor a manufacturers warranty for double of the original time, so if it came with a 90 day, they would honor it for 180 days. I have never taken advantage of any of them though.

11. Mike Coscia macrumors member

Yah Amex is great. I bought two 4gb ipod nanos about two years ago as gifts, one crapped out on the owner in Jan, and the other's screen actually just died about a week ago. They gave me a full refund for for the first and bought the 8gb for the same price the 4 was orginally. Still waiting on the credit for the second one as it takes about two weeks to process. The owner wants to get the 30gb video this time around.

So yah screw those extended warrenties that you have to pay for, your cc is good enough.

12. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

13. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

Me too im going to wait till the end of the year to pick the apple care up. I will have to check on that credit card thing. I also read about getting regular insurance coverage for the phone. Like from state farm or any other insurance company.

14. n8236 macrumors 65816

I'm gonna do what I did w/ my MBP, wait till the last minute b4 I buy AppleCare for it. I do this because I want to see how much they are going for by then, with and without the insurance. If the market value is good, I sell it!

I have a feeling by the time 1 yr is up, iPhone2 will be out. And i'm guesstimating that the iPhone will be worth half its original value.

If you think about it.

Mbp: ~2k, AppleCare, 250. %= 12.50% value of MBP
    iPhone: ~650, AppleCare, 69, %=10.6% value of iPhone.

Yes, I'll buy it!

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Not everyone accepts AMEX as their fees are so high to the retailers.

Visa is more fair to the stores. Keep this in mind whenever usings
    American 'Ripoff":D

16. carman63 macrumors regular

There's no button for "will purchase soon" :)

Cell phones and small electronics (ipods, digicams) are the kind of things I'd insure for damage, if it's available.

17. volntitan macrumors 6502

OK...so pardon me for a stupid question. If my iPhone was purchase with AMEX, is it already "insured" for 2 years? And in that second year, will Apple handle any repairs because I bought it with AMEX? Or do I need to get Applecare for that?

Also, I guess it doesn't benefit me to wait to buy applecare since it will likely start coverage from the day I activated the phone, not when I bought Applecare.

18. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

I personally plan to purchase AppleCare once my wallet recovers a bit from the iphone purchase

19. avalys macrumors 6502

Insurance on small-ticket items is not worth it. If Apple didn't expect to make money off of Applecare, they wouldn't sell it.

And if Apple is making money off of it, it means that, on average, it isn't worth it for customers. You're paying for Apple to assume the risk of you breaking your phone. If you are incapacitated by distress at the thought of having to pay $100 or so to fix your phone if you break it, it might be worth it. Otherwise, you are financially better off just assuming the risk yourself.

Insurance is only worth it for large-ticket items like cars and houses, where a loss would be catastrophic. But insurance for a little thing like a phone? You're just giving your money away.

20. daemontrader macrumors newbie

I think you contact AMEX and they tell you what to do assuming you prove that it was purchased entirely on the card and is within double the manufacturer's warranty. The nice thing is if you do get AppleCare they will add a year on top of it so you will actually get 3 years. It will be a bit old by then though.