Apple Care for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacobson00, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jacobson00 macrumors member

Hi all,

i finally got the apple care for my MBP 2010. I brought it last november. The apple care will expire in 2013 ( i thought it was 3 yrs, but it is only 2 yrs) . I thought the apple care was very expensive.
    Anyways, this may sound weird to most of you guys, but I will be pissed if it ends and nothing happens to the MBP.
    What benefit can i really get from the MBP? (please don't tell me peace of mind).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The benefit you get from your MBP depends on how you use it. The benefit you get from AppleCare depends on if you have a problem that is covered by AppleCare or can be addressed by AppleCare telephone support.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems like you don't really understand what an extended warranty is. You wasted your money, apparently.

4. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

can you then explain to me? That's why i am asking.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Applecare for Macs extends coverage to a total of 3 years (one year complimentary, 2 years additional). It will cover any non-accidental damage or manufacturing defects. It would protect against a random logic board failure, but not dropping your MBP on the floor and having the screen break. Like any insurance policy, if nothing happens by the end of the warranty period you don't get any compensation... you are paying a small amount up front betting against the probability that a more costly repair might be necessary in the future.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple warranty covers a product against manufacturing defects. It doesn't cover damage due to accidents, misuse, normal wear, etc. AppleCare only extends this coverage from 1 year to 3 years. If you don't have a defect in your product, there is no need for a warranty. Since you don't know if a defect will surface or not, buying an extended warranty like AppleCare gives you a longer coverage, in case a defect appears. Other than extended access to telephone support (3 years under AppleCare, 90 days under the warranty), there is no other purpose for AppleCare.

7. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

thank you all. That sucks though. I was hoping to scratch it all over the place before it ends and cry for a new one :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Lol, i hate to say this, but you can do it even though its a douche bag move and pretty much stealing. I have a friend who works at Apple and he says people abuse this power way to much. Many customers with macbooks and iPhones either mess with the charging port by bending pins or purposefully tamper with the insides. There is alot you can do that will make it seem like its just a defect. Scratching the logic board, or bending a pin hear and there can go unnoticeable. They then come in crying about how their iPhone is not charging or how their macbook is freezing up or not turning on.
    Apple with their amazing customer service, usually just replace the iPhone or repair the issue with the MBP. And if this becomes a repetitive issue with hardware like a MBP or iMac, they eventually replace the whole thing, free of charge. And Apple employees usually catch on to what these customers are doing, tampering with their iPhone's so they can get it replaced with a new or refurbished one. Unfortunately Apple cant go around accusing everyone, so they please these greedy thieves.

Dont do it, its because of thieves like these that we are forced to pay such a high price for premium products.

9. IllIllIll, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Are you 12 years old or something?

There's another word for doing something like this. It's called "fraud". Would you also purposefully burn your house down or wreck your car just to take advantage of the insurance payout?

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

it's unfourtanet but some people do.

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

From what i have heard, alot of people do and i find it absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately Apple is very lenient when it comes to these issues, but once again that's what they are known for. Quality products and quality service.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't work. Apple will not give you a new Mac because yours has cosmetic or other damage, accidental or intentional. Such damage is simply not covered at all under the warranty or AppleCare.

13. djhyro macrumors member

i'm wondering if taking a 9-volt battery straight into the logic board would be just as effective :p

14. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

True. Unfortunately not all of them get caught. The truth is, anyone who pulls a stunt like this is a scumbag.

15. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

oh wow, i was just lightening the mood here..just kidding. of course i am not going to do such a thing. I have my piece of mind.
    the last sony viao i brought died 1 month after warranty ended.

16. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm glad I got accidental damage coverage on my MacBook Pro. I'm always traveling with mine.

17. bls8195 macrumors newbie

Best buy I think does the accidental warranty.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

In many ways it's no different than the money we spend on car insurance. I've paid for years & never had an accident or a reason to use it. That's just how it is. I always buy Apple Care for the computers I buy. At least with Apple Care it's a better warranty than you get from third party companies like Best Buy.

19. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

bull - - - - you weren't lying.

20. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

Best Buy covers accidental damage, which is pretty much why you need the warranty in the first place. And of course, square trade is like BB except cheaper.

21. IllIllIll, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Personally I find third party warranties from SquareTrade much cheaper than AppleCare, and their coverage is better. For example, 3 years coverage for a 13.3" MBP priced at $1199 is $159, includes a guaranteed 5 day turnaround, ability to add drop/spill/accident coverage, and ability to cancel the policy at any time with a prorated refund. Plus, the warranty is transferable to a new owner if you decide to sell your item.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking that if you want to buy AppleCare, you need to do it at the time of purchase. The truth is, you have one YEAR from the time of purchase of your MBP to buy it.