Apple care for new Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ethan Coohill, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Ethan Coohill macrumors member

did anyone get it? Is it worth the extra 29?

I'm buying a 64gb version today ( plan on using it for gaming, worth the extra 50 bucks to me) and can't decide if I want to get apple care or not.

Let me know what you guys think and what you bought with your Apple TV today and which size

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

3. MrTemple, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

MrTemple macrumors regular

How many of your at-home consumer devices have failed in the past? How many of those had no moving discs/trays/HDD platters? And how many of those failed within two years? I'm suspecting very, very few. Probably none.

The Apple TV is a tank, no moving parts, no breakable screen, you're not going to move it (though it would probably survive a drop out of an airplane just fine). It's simply not going to fail very often within the first two years.

AppleCare on the Apple TV is about 1/7th to 1/9th the cost of a new one. I doubt 1 in 7-9 will fail within two years.

Seems like a bad move (unless you want the telephone support).

[Edit: I suppose if you're *really* hard on remote controls, it might make sense, but accidental damage isn't covered, so you'd also have to be a charming person to get remote damage covered.]

PS: I always get AC on my iPhones and Macs (on both, I'm ahead of the curve, though my threshold for imperfection is lower, and I make use of the AppleCare more often than I would pay to repair them).

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I have 4 different ATV3's - For years now - Not one single issue

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Useless IMO, especially if you buy with a credit card b.c most extend the warranty out by an additional year.