Apple Care + for SS model?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gdeputy, Aug 5, 2015.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I had it for my sport.. upgraded to SS almost two months back.

Love my watch, wondering if you guys think it's worth it for SS or just keep the 69 bucks and hope for the best?

2. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'll get differing opinions on this. Personally, I think it's not worth it because it's IPX7 water resistant (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes) so any water ingress will be covered under the standard warranty, and it's not as likely to be dropped as the iPhone as it's tethered to the wrist. I have Amex extended warranty coverage for the 2nd year.

However, there are two scenarios where I'd consider getting AC+: 1) you intend to wear it during sports or other extreme activities and subject it to damage, and 2) you don't live near an Apple Store so you can take advantage of express replacement.

3. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I got Applecare+ for the express replacement (for when you cannot re-pair it) and in case I drop it one day. I can't tell you if it'd be worth it for you but I like the piece of mind.

4. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I bought it for mine, just for the two accidental damage forgiveness cases you get.

5. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Bought it for mine. Have had to get 2 express replacements already in under a month! (Both manufacturing defects) Apple store would have replaced it, but it was going to take about a week for them to send it out to Apple and Apple to send them a replacement that I would have then had to go back to the store to pick up. So yeah, it is worth it to me for sure.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is an unfortunate consequence of Apple's choosing not to stock white box replacements for the Watch (unlike other iDevices to date), and IMO this doesn't make for a very good customer experience whether or not you have AC+ (especially if your Watch is bricked).

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Sounds more like a deliberate strategy to sell more AC+ plans!

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I thought the price was reasonable and worth it just for the express replacement if needed. I NEVER buy these warranties but it does give some piece of mind, even if I never use it and it is looking like I might not have too as my SS42 has worked without flaw.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am still trying to decide if I will buy one, but I probably will get the AC+ with it as I have read to many people complaining about scratches and such.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Keep in mind that scratches are considered normal wear and tear and aren't covered by AC+.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep, agreed. And even if it is only a nasty scratch, you need only make a call and another model will appear at your door the next day. For me AC+ is well,worth the cost.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think for a gen 1 product that uses a material (SS) that shows scratches fairly easily. I think AC+ is a definitely a no brainer. I'll be getting AC+ myself once I decide on the model that I'm willing to buy.