Apple Care from ebay purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rainking, Sep 1, 2011.

1. rainking macrumors regular

I just purchased a brand new, unopened 17" MBP from ebay. Got it for $2,198 shipped, no tax plus I earned $53.96 in ebay bucks towards future purchase. So really, it cost me $2,144 vs $2,700 (after tax) from apple. Savings of over $500!!! My question is, does it still carry the 1 year apple care and will I be able to purchase the 3 year apple care from Amazon?

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250883858151

2. RayK macrumors 6502

The warranty will start from the day that the resellr purchased it from apple. Sadly, eBay is not an approved seller so you may not get the full year or the free lion upgrade. Good news is that you can definitely still buy AppleCare and Lion is only $29. Sounds like you got yourself a great deal!

----------

Also once you get the computer you can check how long a warranty you have by visiting Http://www.apple.com/support and clicking Check your service and support coverage under self service.

3. rainking thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I was hoping it would start the day I fired up the machine and logged in to my apple account. I think Lion is already installed. Will get apple care for sure than.

4. RayK macrumors 6502

Lion might be installed. It's a toss up since the box is one of the older style. It still have snow leopard on the actual picture of the box. Enjoy it tho!

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

My MacBook Pro was bought off of eBay as well. It was 3 weeks old. Apple transferred all of the warranty and registration, including the free Lion upgrade, over to me.
    So the answer is yes!

6. RayK macrumors 6502

Of course apple will sometimes do this on a case by case basis. So it's never a bad idea to call them up and ask as I'm sure prodo did.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am curious about AppleCare..will it cover ALL of MBP from 2006 to current? I ask because I just on a bid from ebay yesterday...I as told that MBP itself is 4 years old..Not sure if AppleCare will cover older model.

8. RayK macrumors 6502

No. The only reason they would extend the OP's warranty is because it is a new machine. AppleCare has to be purchased and activated within the first year or the machines life or when it's first purchased.sadly you will not be able to buy AppleCare for the laptop you are purchasing off of eBay.

9. rainking thread starter macrumors regular

I thought the galaxy (the picture in the ebay link) was the new design for Lion?

Thanks, good to know!

No. Apple care is for new or up to a year old.

10. RayK macrumors 6502

yea it's kind of misleading. The seller uses stock images of the new boxes but the actual pic in the auction has a snow leopard box and I checked it again and the auction says that the machine ships with snow leopard. Yay for eBay! :)

11. rainking thread starter macrumors regular